Cookie Consent by
a woman brushing her teeth

Advice & Wellbeing

Not Feeling Tip Top? Here's Some Top Tips!

By UWEaccomm 17 Sep 2021

Feeling unwell? Not sure of the best course of action?

If you have coronavirus symptoms

  • a high temperature
  • a new, continuous cough
  • a loss of, or change to, your sense of smell or taste

You must tell the University, stay inside and ring the Covid Support Team on tel: +44(0)117 32 87000. The phone number is open from 09:00 to 17:00 Monday to Friday. If you develop symptoms overnight, self-isolate immediately and ring us in the morning or report symptoms online. If you report your symptoms online a member of the team will call you back.

  • SELF-CARE: is the best choice to treat very minor illnesses, ailments and injuries. A range of common illnesses and complaints can be treated with a well-stocked medicine cabinet and plenty of rest.

For cold and flu advice – why not have a look at:

  • TALKING TO YOUR LOCAL PHARMACIST: can provide confidential, expert advice and treatment for a range of common illnesses and complaints, without having to wait for a GP appointment or go to your A&E.

Find your nearest pharmacy at:

  • VISITING OR CALLING YOUR GP: If you have an illness or injury that won’t go away, make an appointment with your GP. Please be aware that due to the coronavirus crisis your GP may not be holding face to face appointments, so please call ahead before you visit.

The Health Centre, based on Frenchay Campus, works in association with the The Old School Surgery in Fishponds:

  • CALLING NHS 111: provides a confidential telephone service, 24 hours a day, to give advice and guidance on health issues. Call 111 from your phone.
  • GOING TO A LOCAL NHS WALK-IN CENTRE OR MINOR INJURIES UNIT: offers access to a range of treatments for minor illnesses and injuries that don't need a trip to hospital. Please be aware that due to the coronavirus crisis the nearest Walk-in centre may not be operating as normal so please call ahead before you visit.

Find your nearest walk-in centre at:

  • THE STUDENT HEALTH APPis another great app if you are feeling unwell. It provide easy access to 900 pages of reliable health information and has been created for university students.
  • LOCAL A&E DEPARTMENT (you can make your own way, arriving in an ambulance does not mean you will be seen any quicker): A&E departments and the NHS 999 ambulance service should only be used in a critical or life-threatening situation.

If you need to call the emergency services, call 9999 from an internal telephone or 0117 328 9999 if using a mobile.  This will be answered as a priority by Frenchay Campus East Reception staff who will contact the appropriate service and provide them with the quickest route to you.

For more advice about Student Health, visit the link below:

If you are worried about your mental health, find out what support is available to you here.

Popular topics in Advice & Wellbeing