Moving out of halls?
It's time to start getting your things together, tidying your room and packing up to move out...
Moving out of halls can be stressful (and emotional), so we're going to help you the best we can!
To help you avoid any additional cleaning charges, we have all the hacks you need to leave your accommodation clean and tidy:
- Leave your bedroom spotless This is pretty obvious BUT make sure all surfaces are wiped down, the floor is vacuumed/mopped and that anything that was issued to you at the start of your stay is left clearly visible in the right place.
- Blow-dry any stickers When removing pictures and posters, be very careful that you don't leave any marks. If you have used any adhesive stickers, use a hairdryer to warm up the adhesive before you pull it off to make them easier to remove.
- Plan a team tidy up It's a good idea to plan with your flatmates how, and when, you'll tackle your communal areas. Some people may be leaving earlier than others and you don't want to be the one left to clean everything on your own! If you leave before everyone else, plan which communal areas you are going to clean and do them before you leave.
- Don't leave anything behind Make sure the fridge/freezer is cleared out, as well as all your bins and personal items. You don't want to leave rubbish behind and get charged for something as silly as forgetting to take your bins out. If you have unwanted items you can donate them to a loving second home - British Heart Foundation boxes are in each courtyard and there's more info on what goes where here.
- Give your microwave some TLC We all hate doing it but if you want to save a few extra quid, it's got to be done. The easiest way to get rid of the food splatters is by putting a bowl that's half water and half white vinegar in the microwave for 5 minutes. The steam breaks down the dirt so all you have to do is wipe it down.
- Have you drained the drains? There's There's a pretty high chance you haven't done this or even thought about it, so just combine baking soda and vinegar and pour it down your drain. Leave it for about an hour or more and then flush it down with hot water - easy!
- Please return your keys/fob/access card to your accommodation's customer services desk on the day you leave. If you are not able to do this, please post them by recorded delivery in a padded envelope to Accommodation Services. If you are living at Glenside or the Hollies post through the letter box in 1H29.
- Before leaving, please collect all outstanding parcels and avoid ordering any new parcels two weeks prior to moving, unless they are to your new address. Arrange with Royal Mail to re-direct your mail and deliveries and change your address on any accounts. If you are expecting a delivery to arrive after you have vacated, you must advise us before you check out, if you don't your parcel may be automatically returned to sender.
- Finally .. Close and lock all your doors and windows when you leave.
Moving out questions
If you have any questions, please contact us and we will help guide you through the process.
If you want to really go for it, here are some serious cleaning quick-fixes:
- Toothpaste is handy when it comes to polishing a mirror and keeping your trainers nice and clean.
- Have you used a sock as a mop before? Get yourself an old (non-woolly) pair, spray some floor cleaner and dance around. Nobody said cleaning had to be a chore...
- If you've got any Coca-Cola lying around, use it to clean the toilet. Just simply pour and flush.
Remember, leave your accommodation how you found it or even better. Happy tidying!
- Read Next
- HallsLife - What's on 14th - 20th June Bring your own bubble Pizza Picnic at the Farmhouse Your private accommodation shopping list HallsLife - What's on Monday 31st May - Sunday 6th June Spring BBQ essentials Top tips for the best nights sleep - as suggested by YOU! Report and Support Tool Your guide to being a Resident Assistant If you haven’t completed your Census Form
- Moving out of halls? Blackbullion - Money Advice Community Gardening MOB Kitchen - Back to Uni Cookbook Your guide to International food stores in Bristol Unibuddy - chat to current students about life at UWE Finding your second year house Thought about changing your diet? Nitrous Oxide (Noz, Laughing Gas) - Know the facts Your private accommodation shopping list