Do your bit - Recycling and waste
To reduce our impact on the environment, UWE Bristol has the aim of recycling 80 per cent of the waste we produce.
To help achieve this target we provide facilities to recycle a wide range of materials.
Whilst in accommodation, you are able to recycle the following materials into large industrial recycling bins located centrally:
- paper, including magazines and newspaper
- cans for food or drink, foil and metal lids
- plastic bottles and other plastic containers
- glass bottles and jars (not broken glass)
- food waste.
Please do not contaminate the recycling bins with incorrect items as this will mean that everything will be landfilled rather than recycled.
Recyclable waste is collected from the bin stores located outside of your residence several times per week.
Facilities for recycling old batteries are available in the Customer Service Desk area.
Personal waste such as used tissues and disposable cleaning cloths can be disposed of securely within disposable rubbish bags. These bags should be placed into another bag, tied securely and kept separate from other waste.
In order for us to dispose of your rubbish safely, place them outside your flat door with a note of today’s date attached. These will then be removed by a member of staff 72 hours after it has been placed there and disposed of.
General waste is rubbish that cannot be recycled. It is collected from the bin stores outside the accommodation three times a week, normally on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday, or more frequently as required at busy periods.
Facilities for recycling/donating unwanted items such as clothes, books and DVDs to local charities will be available the whole year round in the bin store area.
Bristol Big Give
As part of the Bristol Big Give, which takes place in April and May each year, you will have the opportunity to recycle/donate some of the items you do not wish to take with you when you move out. Items may include books, clothes, electrical items and tinned/packet food. These items will be sold in local charity shops. Cages will be provided for bedding and duvets.
More information on how to get involved will be provided nearer the time to your departure and on the Big Give Facebook page.
- Read Next
- Win a Perfect Night in Hamper HallsLife - What's on this week? 1st - 7th November 50th Aniversary Celebration - Festive Market Monthly Quiz Night Community Garden 7 Easy Peasy Day Trips from Bristol Murder Mystery Night at the Farmhouse on Frenchay. Food Waste Survey - We need your help! HallsLife - What's on 25th - 31st October? HallsLife Craft Club - Halloween Edition
- HallsLife Halloween Window Competition Student Village - Local Area Guide National Student Housing Survey - win £500 Circuit Laundry How to use social media to settle into freshers life MOB Kitchen - Back to Uni Cookbook Bristol Guide: International Supermarkets Wallscourt Park - Local Area Guide Glenside & The Hollies - Local Area Guide Glenside & The Hollies - post and parcels