HEALTH & WELLBEING
Cooking: The perfect pasta & rice
Pasta and rice are staple ingredients in lots of dishes...
They're quick and easy to make too and in meals lots of us love. You could have stir fry, pasta bake, curry...the list is endless!
Here are some tips that will help you cook delicious pasta:
- Put your dry pasta in a serving bowl so you can estimate the serving size. Remember: it will expand as it cooks!
- Boil water in a pan (enough to cover the pasta) and add salt to bring out the flavour and speed up the cooking time.
- Pasta usually takes around 10-15 minutes. To test if it’s ready, take a piece out with a fork and take a bite. If there's a white ring in it, the pasta isn't cooked.
- Drain the pasta over the sink with a colander. If you want to add any other ingredients, put the pasta back in the pan (without water) and add sauce/other ingredients.
- The longer you cook the pasta for, the softer it will be. If you like your pasta Al Dente, cook for around 10 minutes. Cooking time will also depend on the type of pasta! E.g: spaghetti will require a shorter cooking period.
How to cook basmati rice:
- Rice can roughly be measured by half an average teacup per person, so a full mug should make enough for two.
- Put the rice in a bowl and rinse with cold water. This will get rid of the starch, making it less sticky and easier to cook.
- Put the rice in a pan and cover with a fingertips depth of water above it.
- Bring to the boil then cover with a pan lid and leave to simmer.
- There is no need to stir it! After about 10 minutes, all of the water should have evaporated to leave fluffy rice.
- Read Next
- 4 Quick & Tasty Recipes RGU Book Club Guide to RGU Counselling Online/Phone Sessions RGU SPORT is reopening! Student Advisor Top Ten Tips Student Buddy Campus Tour Top Ten Parks in Aberdeen Keeping your Bike Road-worthy Inclusive Cycling and Access to a Bike Stretch It Off
- How to get a National Insurance Number Top 10 things to do in Aberdeen Mental Wellbeing Tips Walk This Way Getting a COVID Test Dealing with Stress Everything to do with eggs! Food hacks to save you money Cooking: The perfect pasta & rice Introducing your RGU e-Hub