Paulina's Blog: Japanese Style Salad
I could eat my own weight in this salad! The buckwheat soba noodles, can be a healthy alternative to wheat pasta. Together with spring onions, salmon, sesame, and spicy dressing, they create a truly exciting mix. Tastes the best after a few hours in the fridge, but I bet you’ll eat at least one portion straight after putting it together!
Makes 1 portion. Preparation is about 20 minutes.
What ingredients will you need?
- 100g of soba noodles
- 100g of hot smoked salmon
- 70g of spring onions
- 2 tablespoons of sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon of light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of lime juice
- ½ teaspoon of honey
- ½ teaspoon of chili paste (like Sambal Oelek), or alternatively, chili flakes
- black pepper
- 3 tablespoons of sesame seeds, preferably black sesame
And this is how the magic happens:
- Start with cooking the noodles with a dash of salt. It is important to not overcook the soba noodles, and 5 or 6 minutes in boiling water is enough for them. Drain them, and cool down.
- Wash the spring onions, and finely chop them.
- Split the salmon into smaller pieces.
- Prepare the salad’s dressing. If you’re using chili flakes rather than chili paste, crush them first. Mix them with sesame oil, soy sauce, lime juice, and honey, add black pepper to taste. Because of the amount of soy sauce, extra salt is usually not needed.
- Don’t simply mix the salad, as due to the shape of the soba noodles, they may stick together. Instead, put them in layers, first some soba noodles, then salmon and spring onions, and some sesame seeds, and finish with dressing. Repeat until all the ingredients are used, but leave some salmon, spring onions, and sesame for decoration.
- Adjust the salad’s spiciness to your taste, e.g. by adding some cayenne pepper.
- Read Next
- Workout of the Week 23rd February 2020 Emily's Blog: Valentine's Day Card Ideas QMU Festival of Careers Workout of the Week 1st February 2020 Converge Challenge - Enter Now! Tips for setting meaningful New Years Resolutions Workout of the Week! Emily's Blog - DIY Snow Globe Looking for an Internship in a Covid World The power of 5!
- Upright bike Tyler's Blog: Make yourself visible: Create an ePortfolio Single Arm Row Maja's Blog: Asexuality Meet the Catering Team...Alan Scott, our new Sous Chef The ResLife Team Lat Pulldown Assisted Chin Up Support at QMU 10 Uses For Coffee Grounds