Cookie Consent by
a collection of face masks


When to self-isolate in Halls

By eknowles 23 Dec 2021

Self-isolation Guidance for Halls residents

You must self-isolate in Halls if:

  • You have any symptoms of COVID-19 – book a PCR test and self-isolate. The three main symptoms are:

              a new, continuous cough

              a high temperature

              a loss of, or change in, your normal sense of taste or smell

  • You have any of the additional symptoms that the University recognise as being associated with COVID-19 (listed below) – book a PCR test and self-isolate.


              Persistent headache

              Fever and chills

              Shortness of breath/difficulty breathing


              Muscle or body aches

              Sore throat

              Congestion or runny nose


  • You have tested positive for COVID-19 (this means you have COVID-19)

From 11 January 2022, you must immediately self-isolate if you test positive on a LFT (Lateral Flow Test) and you do not need to arrange a confirmatory PCR test. If you have a positive result from a LFT, you can be confident that you have COVID-19.

  • Someone you live with has symptoms or has tested positive (unless you are not required to self-isolate; check below)
  • If you have been told to self-isolate as you have been identified as a close contact of someone who has tested positive (unless you are not required to self-isolate; check below)

You can book a PCR test at the University’s on-campus test site or via the Government webpages. If your test result is positive, you should self-isolate in line with Government guidance.

Once you are self-isolating:

If you are self-isolating, you must inform the University by completing a COVID-19 Self-Isolation Form. By informing the University that you are self-isolating, you will be offered support even if you are not on campus/in Halls. 

If you test positive for COVID-19, you must report your result on the University’s case management system.

You should only leave your flat to go to a test site, do not continue to attend lectures, work or go to public areas. You should also not have any visitors unless they are providing essential care. 

To find out how long you must self-isolate for in line with the latest Government guidance, please click here.

Click here for more information if you are self-isolating in Halls, including support in place for you at this time.

When not to self-isolate:

If you are a close contact of someone with COVID-19, you do not need to self-isolate if any of the below apply to you:

  • You're fully vaccinated – please check the link on the government website here for the latest details on what ‘fully vaccinated’ means
  • you're under 18 years, 6 months old
  • you're taking part or have taken part in a COVID-19 vaccine trial
  • you're not able to get vaccinated for medical reasons

However, you will need to take a lateral flow test every day for 7 days, taking the test before you leave home for the first time that day.

If you are unvaccinated and are aged 18 years and 6 months and over, you must self-isolate if you are a close contact of someone with COVID-19.


support, advice,

Popular topics in Accommodation