Become a Residential Adviser
If you want to live in Halls, then being a Residential Adviser could be just the opportunity for you!
Our Residential Advisers (RA) live amongst the students in all 7 of our Halls of Residences. The RAs role is to provide support, guidance and out of hours contact for our residents, as well as help to run our exciting social programme.
From 2021 academic year onwards, Residential Advisers will be provided with FREE accommodation in recognition of the vital service they provide within our halls of residence.
The role is available for staff and students who are interested in gaining or developing key skills for future employment, and wish to have a positive impact on the Halls community. In becoming an RA you will have the chance to diversify your skill set in many areas including event planning; communication and leadership; and interpersonal skills.
The key duties of a Residential Adviser are:
- Working closely with the Hall Warden, who has overall responsibility for the hall and line manages the RAs
- Providing an overnight support service to students dealing with incidents in the halls (typically one night per week)
- Taking pastoral responsibility for a set group of 80 students in a hall (around 40 students in Melville Grove and Tudor Close), maintaining regular contact with them, providing opportunities to meet one another, and ensuring their wellbeing
- Planning and delivering community building events with the help of the Halls Student Experience team
- Developing knowledge of the support available in halls and the wider University, and directing students accordingly.
There are a range of living options available to RAs - from shared RA flats to individual studio apartments. You can have a look at the different Halls of Residence, and room types, here. You will be given the opportunity to state your preference on your application form, however allocations will be made based on where RA support is needed most.
You will need to complete an online application and, if shortlisted, you will be invited to interview for a position with a panel consisting of the Hall Warden and a member of the Halls Life Team. If you are successful at interview we will send further information regarding next steps. Successful applicants will need to meet all of the necessary requirements outlined in the ‘RA Recruitment Process’ document here.
You can find the application form on the University jobs website here: https://my.corehr.com/pls/ulivrecruit/erq_search_package.search_form?p_company=1&p_internal_external=E
(search for “Residential Adviser” under the vacancy type)
Please email any questions to email@example.com
You can hear about being an RA from Nicole (below) and click here to watch a one of our Wardens, a member of the Halls Life Team and the Accommodation Manager discuss the role.
- Read Next
- Ask Us Helpers - Job Opportunity Living with people who are not 'your people' Catering at Vine Court How YOU can help someone's mental health Blog Writing Opportunity for Careers Winter Warmer Recipe: Black Bean Quesadilla Creating a Budget Winter Warmer Recipe: Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese Winter Warmer Recipe: Vegetable Tart Items not permitted in Halls
- Requesting to move rooms Halls Facebook Groups 2021/22 Travelling around the City and to Greenbank Finding your next home Get involved in Halls Life Online support for your Mental Wellbeing Halls Contact Information Finding Housemates Living with people who are not 'your people' How YOU can help someone's mental health