Simple Uni Student Meals: Nigerian Peppered Chicken
We all love a budget friendly student meal. How about an International dish? Here's our recipe for Nigerian Peppered Chicken.
All Ingredients can be picked up from your local supermarket, here you go enjoy!
- 3 onions
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper ( can add more for extra spice)
- 2 bell peppers
- Lemon Juice / Lemons
- 1/2 tablespoon Garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon Paprika
- 3 Maggi Cubes
- 2 Knorr Cubes
- Maggi Sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon Thyme powder
- 1/2 tablespoon Curry powder
- 1 tablespoon Tomato purée
- Chicken Drumsticks
- *recipe can be adjusted for dietary requirements.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Take 2 onions, Bell Peppers and Scotch Bonnets. Add to Blender and blend/ pulse to a finely chopped consistency but not super smooth. (Alternatively if you have a food processor you could use this for similar outcome). When done leave mixture to the side.
- Clean and wash chicken drumsticks with lemon juice/ lemon.
- Add paprika, garlic, thyme, salt, curry, 1 maggi cube , 1 knorr cube and sprinkle of maggi sauce to chicken. Coat well and leave to marinate for 5 minutes to at least 2 hours dependent on time constraint.
- Add chicken to oven tray and place in oven for 50 minutes flipping to other side in between.
- Finely chop the last onion and leave to the side.
- In a medium sized pot to hob on medium heat, add oil, after oil is heated slightly add the onion you just chopped.
- Fry onions for at least 3 minutes or until translucent and soft. Then add finely chopped pepper mix and stir. Leave to fry/ cook on medium heat for 10-15 minutes. Until water reduced slightly and the sauce starts to thicken. Add tomato purée stir and continue to leave to cook on low/medium heat.
- When sauce is reduced to a slightly thicker consistency and oil has risen to the top, add curry, 2 maggi cubes, thyme, 1 knorr cube and 1/2 of salt. Stir and continue to leave to cook/fry on low heat.
- Remove chicken from oven ensuring it’s fully cooked after 50 minutes. Add chicken to peppered sauce combine, stir and enjoy.
Check out our Tik Tok for recipe video :)
- Read Next
- Become a Residence Life Assistant My ResLife Assstant Experience - Glory's Story My ResLife Assistant Experience - Pedro's story My Reslife Assistant Experience - Alex's Story My ResLife Assistant Experience - Rachel's story National Vegetarian Week Tips When Starting Second Year at University Top rating movies/series on Netflix 2022 Tips for May Starters Outdoor Sports to play with friends
- Numerology, astrology and horoscopes: a beginners guide Nightlife in Coventry - Best clubs and bars in the area Need something fixing in your accommodation? #DontBeDaft: The Drinking Series Food shopping on a budget... #DontBeDaft: The Money Series Join the Party! - Stay in halls don’t commute! TOP 10 places to visit in Coventry! #Dontbedaft: The Night Out Series Tips for Exam Prep