How to cook the perfect pasta & rice
Pasta and rice are quick, easy and staple ingredients in lots of different dishes...
Stir fry, pasta bake, curry...the list is endless and they're meals lots of us love!
A little bit clueless when it comes to cooking? Don't worry! Follow these insider tips and you'll be a professional in no time...
How to cook delicious pasta:
- Put your dry pasta in a serving bowl so you can estimate the serving size (remember it will expand as it cooks)
- Boil water in a pan (enough to cover the pasta), adding salt to bring out the flavour and speed up the cooking time.
- Pasta usually takes around 10-15 minutes, but to test if it’s ready, take a piece out with a fork, take a bite and, if there's a white ring in it the pasta isn't cooked.
- Drain the pasta over the sink with a colander. If you want to add any other ingredients, put the pasta back in the pan (without any water) and add your sauce/other ingredients.
- The longer you cook the pasta for the softer it will be, if you like your pasta al dente cook for around 10 minutes. Cooking time will also depend on the type of pasta, for example, long spaghetti will require a shorter cooking period.
How to cook basmati rice:
- Rice can roughly be measured by half an average teacup per person, so a full mug should make enough for two.
- Put the rice in a bowl and rinse in cold water to get rid of the starch, this will make it less sticky and easier to cook.
- Put the rice in a pan and cover with about a fingertips depth of water above it.
- Bring to the boil then leave to simmer, covering with a pan lid.
- There is no need to stir it and after about 10 minutes all of the water should have evaporated to leave fluffy rice.
- Read Next
- Well-being Community Project ResLife: Virtual Slumber Party - 23/09/21 7PM ResLife: T-BREAK Mental Health Session - 22/09/21 10am-3pm ResLife: Isolation Chat Station - 20/09/21 6PM ResLife: Pool Tournament - 21/09/21 6PM Tips on living with housemates and making friends. Mental Health Unwind Things I wish I knew in the first year of Uni. 11 ways to make halls feel like home What's Browzer?
- ResLife: Alcohol Awareness Week Top tips for 1st years: Part 1 11 ways to make halls feel like home Do you need extra cover? How to check out of your halls How to use Singer Hall (standard) appliances Your Residence Life Coordinator Go Green! What's Browzer? How to budget as a student?