Drinks spiking - How to stay safe on a night night
When you go out, there are a few things you should consider in order to make the most of your nights out at uni while being safe, especially if alcohol is involved.
Over the last few weeks, there has been a righteous
Before you leave
When you're getting ready, you're probably thinking about where you're going, what's playing, and who you'll meet. But there are a handful of things you should do before you leave the house to ensure a nice night:
- Before you go, make sure your phone is fully charged.
- If you intend to carry cash, go to the cash machine during the day and avoid using it at night.
- Place your keys, ID, and other valuables in a safe place where you won't lose them.
- Keep your wallet out of your back pocket
Stay with friends
It may appear straightforward, but staying with your friends at a crowded pub might be more difficult than it appears. Here are some suggestions to help you and your friends stay connected:
- Use licensed taxis and plan your trip to and from town ahead of time.
- When you leave your group of pals, bring someone with you.
- Make a group chat with your friends so you can keep in touch if one of you goes to the bar.
- If you haven't seen a buddy in a long time, write them a message in the group chat.
- Make your way home together, and make sure everyone understands how and when each of you will arrive.
It's likely that you or some of your pals will be drinking. It's not a problem to have a few drinks during the night. But drinking too many beers or shooting too many shots isn't a good idea.
Here are a few ideas for drinking safely:
- Eat before drinking to allow your body to properly process your beverages.
- Accepting a drink from someone you don't know is not a good idea.
- Throughout the night, sip water or soft drinks, and if you're feeling too tipsy, take a nap.
- Recognize the indicators of intoxication in yourself or a friend: slurred speech, impaired vision, and loss of balance.
- If one of your buddies has had a few too many drinks, make sure they receive some water and some fresh air to help them sober up.
While it is extremely unlikely, there is a possibility of drink spiking while you are out. So keep an eye on your drink and never leave it unattended. If you need to use the restroom or walk outdoors for some fresh air, ask your buddies to keep an eye on your drink.
If you believe that your or someone else's drink has been spiked, locate a safe place, tell venue staff, and obtain some water right away. Staff will be able to provide assistance and safety, as well as maybe discover the individual who poisoned your drink.
Getting home safe
When planning a night out, one of the last things on your mind may be how you will get home. It's a good idea to plan your route home or to have a few possibilities in mind depending on where the night takes you.
Consider the hazards of inviting someone back to your house or staying at theirs if you met them on a night out. Make sure you're certain that you'll be secure and that you'll be able to travel home later.
Even though it's only a short distance, we wouldn't advocate walking home. But if you insist on going home, there are several precautions you can take to ensure your safety:
- Don't go it alone.
- Stick to well-lit, wide locations and stroll with purpose.
- Walk on the other side of the road to the approaching traffic so that you are fully aware if a car comes to a halt near you.
- While you're walking home alone, call and talk to a buddy.
Stay safe out there!
- Read Next
- How to be sustainable at uni Become a Residence Life Assistant My ResLife Assstant Experience - Glory's Story My ResLife Assistant Experience - Pedro's story My Reslife Assistant Experience - Alex's Story My ResLife Assistant Experience - Rachel's story National Vegetarian Week Tips When Starting Second Year at University Top rating movies/series on Netflix 2022 Tips for May Starters
- Numerology, astrology and horoscopes: a beginners guide Nightlife in Coventry - Best clubs and bars in the area Need something fixing in your accommodation? #DontBeDaft: The Money Series #DontBeDaft: The Drinking Series Food shopping on a budget... Join the Party! - Stay in halls don’t commute! Tips for Exam Prep TOP 10 places to visit in Coventry! #Dontbedaft: The Night Out Series