Vegan recipes to try: Mushroom and pepper burgers
We've got the tastest vegan burger recipe and even better it makes 6 for you and your flatmates to enjoy!
What you'll need:
- 1 cup of vital wheat gluten
- 150g (half a pack) of silken tofu
- 1 tbsp of peanut butter
- 1 tbsp sundried tomato paste (or any tomato paste)
- 200g chestnut mushrooms
- 1 red bell pepper
- ½ onion
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 veggie stock cube
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Pinch of salt
- Mix the vital wheat gluten with the nutritional yeast in a bowl.
- Separately, mix the tofu, peanut butter, tomato paste and spices until you obtain a smooth paste.
- Pre-heat the oven and roast the red pepper – this should cook in time with the mushrooms.
- Chop the mushrooms and the onion very finely. In a pan, lightly fry the onions until translucent, then add the mushrooms and cook together until the water from the mushrooms comes out.
- Then add the stock cube and cook until the water has almost evaporated.
- Take the pan off the heat and add the mix to the bowl with the tofu paste.
- Take the red pepper out of the oven, peel it, chop it very finely and add it to the tofu paste.
- If you have a blender, you can also pulse the mushrooms, onions and red pepper for a smoother texture.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour bowl and add the veg and tofu.
- Fold gently until it is fully incorporated, and then knead lightly for 30s.
- Chop into the desired size (could be burgers, could be nuggets, up to you!) and steam for 20-25 mins. They are now ready to toss on the grill pan, or let them cool for a couple of hours and then freeze in an airtight container.
- Read Next
- North Campus Netflix & Hot Chocolate Dodgeball Tournament Talybont Netflix & Popcorn Cartwright Waffle Night Afternoon Tea at South Campus Sport Saturday at Uni Hall Board Game Night Coffee Lounge Effective Communication - tips on how to build, maintain and repair flat relationships Wellbeing Wednesday Workshops
- Catering in residences Meet the Team: Cartwright Court RLAs Vegan recipes to try: Pesto & vegetable tart Setting up a bank account Staying safe in halls with COVID Vegan recipes to try: Tofu 'egg' scramble Vegan recipes to try: Mushroom and pepper burgers First year survival guide for International Students How to...laundry Where to buy essential items