Living on a budget doesn’t have to be the absolute bore that it’s made out to be. Here are our top picks of super-saving-secrets:
- There are added, exclusive benefits to getting an NUS Extra Card. Some supermarkets now offer discounts!
- Supermarkets can be sneaky. Don’t just look at eye level. Often, more expensive brands are strategically placed to be the first things you’ll see.
- Make a list, don’t be fooled by the ‘deals’ bombarding you on the way to your essentials.
- Do you really need a bag of potatoes when you only really wanted to bake one tonight? Sometimes it’s surprisingly cheaper to buy separately, and that way you won’t waste food.
- Don’t shop while hungry, or you’ll go overboard!
- Learn what time your local supermarket marks down their prices – and take full advantage of the special section!
- Restaurant loyalty cards are absolute gems if you’re eating out anyway.
- Train travel can be extortionate. Save a fortune by investing in a Railcard. Download the ‘Tickety Split’ app – trust us.
- For walk-up fares, it’s potentially cheaper to split the journey into two separate legs on the same train!
- Of course, checking online for advanced purchases is a must.
- Sometimes two singles are cheaper than a return
- Megabus does NUS Extra discount – cheap just got cheaper.
- Need flights over summer? Always go in ‘incognito mode’ in your web browser; this way, prices aren't biased and remain low.
- Need a haircut or a gift but can’t face sky-high costs? Plenty of websites offer daily deals!
- EBay – need we say more? There’s no shame in snagging a bargain!
- Google ‘free samples’ or ‘discount codes’ to get (and follow!) the best cheats and freebies the online world has to offer, on everything from food to fragrance!