Staying Safe in Bristol & On Campus
Going to university can be a very exciting time and a brand new experience for everyone.
Whilst it can be tempting to try and impress your new friends and getting too carried away can be easily done, it is still important to keep level headed.
There are a few simple ways in which you can make sure yourself and others stay unharmed and safe when you are on a night out:
- Charge your phone before a night out...Making sure your phone is fully charged before you head out is important. You don't want to lose your friends and be left in a city you are not familiar with.
- Make sure you have 3 key security's number in your phone and always ring 999 in an emergency.....Security (24hrs) +44 (0)117 32 86404, Cotswold Customer Service Desk +44 (0)117 32 86227, Wallscourt, Hollies & Glenside Customer Service Desk +44 (0)117 32 87364
- If you are worried about something report it to Accommodation Services ...... You can report via phone or email or if you want to report anonymously e-listing
- Double check taxis...Ensure that when you are getting into a taxi going home from a night out that is it a legit taxi and from a company that you recognise. You can use Bristol Parkway Taxis 0117 254 1111, Filton Ave Cars 07936 857131 or Uber
- Shout bye... When you are leaving your accommodation for a night out and getting into a taxi, a good trick is to shout bye, even if there is no one in the house, you never want to come back to any nasty surprises.
- Carry a Personal Alarm especially when walking alone, in dark secluded places - Personal security alarms are available via Accommodation Services.
- Know your boundaries... If you're having a good time, know your limits, in terms of alcohol and if you meet someone. Remember that no means no and don't be pressured into doing anything.
- Trust your instincts... If something doesn't feel right then it usually isn't, trust your gut. If you get yourself into a situation you don't want to be in then walk away.
- Don't walk alone... Walking home alone after a night out is never a good idea, ring a friend, get a taxi or public transport, don't become an easy target and plus it will save you from blisters.
- Ask for Angela campaign... If you have met up with someone and you feel unsafe in the situation, ask the bar for 'Angela' and they will help you get out of the situation.
- Stick together... Your mum might have always said this, but you have safety in numbers so stay together. Don't leave people behind and if you are leaving somewhere make sure you have got everyone.
- Watch your drinks... Don't leave your drink unattended and definitely don't 'mind sweep' if you can't afford to buy drinks then it's probably not the best idea to go on a night out.
Enjoy yourself and have fun at university it is a new and exciting time, but just think twice before you go and do something you may regret.
- Read Next
- Budgeting your way through your final loan... Just before you leave for Easter... Fire Safety in UWE Bristol Accommodation Wellbeing & Mental Health Support Flat-sharing Drama SPACED! Free Advice & Support on Drugs & Alcohol Funzing Talks - Bristol
- Accommodation Customer Services Desk Still on Campus? - Spring Holiday Information Drugs Awareness Sessions Still on Campus? Easter Eggs to be won! Fire Awareness Sessions