International Students: What to bring to uni
Now the excitement has started to kick in that you're going to university VERY soon, it's time to think about what to pack!
It can be tempting to bring everything you own, but you only need the essentials. To make your life a little easier, here is a list of all the main things you need to pack...
- Pack lightly - Uni rooms can be small with limited storage and so travel light if you can.
- Don't buy lots of expensive stuff - Most things that you use will just last for one year, so don't worry about spending a lot of money. You can buy most things once you arrive in the UK at inexpensive shops like Argos, Wilkos and Ikea.
- Check what the uni is providing - Double check what will be in your bedroom and kitchen once you arrive to save time and money.
Here are things you MUST remember:
- Documentation; your bank account details and cash card, ID such as your passport or driving licence
- Medication (you may be able to get this in the UK) and don't forget to register with a UK doctor
- Photos from home
- Travel adapter
Most other items can be bought once you arrive:
- Bedding (mattress protector, pillows, quilt, sheets)
- Warm clothes
- Sports kit
- Cleaning items
- Kitchen utensils
- Waterproof raincoat, this is Britain after all...
- Coffee, tea, mugs, food
There are also things that you CAN'T bring to uni:
- Rice cookers or chip fryers
- Candles, incense sticks, tea lights
- Smoking equipment, such as pipes and ashtrays
- Dartboards or weapons of any kind (real or replicas - please don't bring them)
Time to start packing!
- Read Next
- UniKitOut - uni supplies delivered to your doorstep How to make your flat a home - Upcycled hanging planters How to make your flat a home - Cactus pebble plants HallsLife Events! 21st - 27th September UWE Sport Online Classes Outdoor Cinema Join UWE Hockey today HallsLife Rogue Agent - virtual escape room Make your flat feel like a home - video release HallsLife Scavenger Hunt
- Blackbullion - Money Advice How to use social media to settle into freshers life How to choose your accommodation at UWE! Unibuddy - chat to current students about life at UWE Finding your second year house How to decorate your uni room Keep in touch ! Ella's top tips for first year! Thought about changing your diet? Nitrous Oxide (Noz, Laughing Gas) - Know the facts