5 of the Easiest Fresher's Recipes
Once you move to university, you may suddenly panic when you realise all you can cook is a pot noodle. But not to worry, here are 3 of my quickest and easiest recipes to keep you going through freshers.
1. Cheese and Baked Bean Toastie
Don't judge - this is like cheesy beans on toast...but in a toastie? Perfect for a quick, cheap snack. Plus it's definitely worth investing in a sandwich toaster, you can buy one for under £10 at most supermarkets.
- Baked beans
- Turn the sandwich toaster on
- Butter both sides of 2 slices of bread
- Spoon the beans onto 1 slice of bread (as much as you want but don't overdo it as the beans will escape when cooking)
- Sprinkle as much cheese as you want onto the beans
- Put the other slice of bread on top to make a sandwich
- Put the sandwich onto the sandwich toaster without the whole contents falling out (good luck)
- Close the lid of the sandwich toaster and toast until brown (most sandwich toasters have some sort of timer or will turn green so can always use that)
- Remove from toaster and devour
- Can dip it in ketchup...or more beans...
2. Jacket Potato with Cheese and Beans
Mastering this is an essential life skill...
- 1 large baking potato
- Baked beans
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven at 200°C
- Pierce the potato through the middle with a sharp knife
- Place on a plate and put in the microwave for 5 mins
- Then turn the potato over and microwave for another 5 mins
- Put the potato in the oven for 3 mins (this makes it nice and crispy on top)
- Whilst the potato is in the oven, put half a tin of beans in a bowl and microwave for 2 mins
- Take the potato out of the oven and cut into a cross, sprinkle on salt and pepper
- Add the beans and sprinkle cheese all over
- Enjoy x
3. Fried Egg Sandwich
This is perfect for breakfast, lunch, brunch and any time in between.
- Salt & pepper
- Fry the egg
- Place the fried egg onto a slice of bread
- Put ketchup, salt and pepper all over
- Then gently break the yolk of the egg and spread all over
- Place another slice of bread on top of the egg and cut in half
- Bon appetite, mon amies!
4. Cajun Chicken Pasta
This spicy dish is great for a weekend or weeknight treat!
- Cajun Seasoning
- Cream of Crème Fraiche
- Red Pepper
- Add your pasta to a pan of boiling water on the hob and simmer on a medium heat
- Chop and fry onion and pepper in a pan with a little oil
- To make the sauce .....when the onion and pepper are almost cooked (around ten minutes) add the cream or crème fraiche to the pan. Then add 3 teaspoons of Cajun seasoning to the cream or crème fraiche or more to your taste
- Keep stirring the cream onion and pepper on a low heat till the sauce becomes a thick creamy consistency
- Add the pasta to the sauce and enjoy
- Serve with some parmesan or cheese and a salad
5. Salmon Parcels
- Veg (anything you have) peppers, broccoli, courgettes
- Soy sauce
- Chinese five spice
- Slice and dice your veg and an onion
- Place the salmon, veg and onion onto some foil
- Sprinkle the Chinese five spice over the salmon and veg and add good glug of soy sauce and honey
- Wrap the salmon and veg in a parcel and cook at 180 for 20 mins
So once you have mastered these easy recipes, check out UWE's Browzer page for more!
- Read Next
- HallsLife Events! 28th September - 4th October Wallscourt Park - post and parcels Circuit Laundry Setting up your rent instalments Frenchay Campus - shopping and amenities How to make your flat a home - Bottle Lamps How to make your flat a home - Origami lights How to make your flat your home - Upcycled Fairy Lights Bristol International Student Centre - events, advice & support UniKitOut - uni supplies delivered to your doorstep
- Blackbullion - Money Advice How to use social media to settle into freshers life How to choose your accommodation at UWE! Unibuddy - chat to current students about life at UWE Finding your second year house How to decorate your uni room Keep in touch ! Ella's top tips for first year! Thought about changing your diet? Nitrous Oxide (Noz, Laughing Gas) - Know the facts