Being on the train back to your hometown is so close you can almost smell your Mum's cooking but don't forget about your university home before leaving.
Before getting all excited about having some time off, there are a few things you need to remember! You wouldn't want to come back in January to any nasty surprises, would you?
- Take food out the fridge: This is forgotten about way too often. Time to get creative and make yourself a random meal using what you've got leftover or just throw it out. Either way, don't leave it to go mouldy and smelly.
- Empty the bins: Ok, so you've followed step 1 but it's no good throwing your food out but leaving it to sit in the kitchen for about 3 weeks. Ask your flatmates to give you a hand taking them down.
- Clean your room: This might seem pretty obvious but you don't want to be greeted with any unfortunate smells in January. That includes your bathroom if you've got an ensuite!
- Pack the clothes you don't wear anymore: Remember back in September when you packed every item of clothing you own? Now that you've realised you don't need them all, you can take some home. Plus, you'll be making more room for the clothes you get for Christmas or in the sales!
- Donate cupboard food: When you did that big food shop with your parents at the start of term and bought all those tins/cans that you've never used - now is the time to get rid. Take them to a food bank to help those who really need it this Christmas!
- Tidy communal areas: Ask all of your flatmates to come together to do a big clean of the kitchen/living room and bathroom. Split up the different jobs so that everyone has a part to play.
- Turn off lights and electricals: All your bills might be included in your rent but it's still important to pay attention to how much energy you might be wasting. Electricals can overheat and start a fire too.
- Lock windows and doors: Be safe rather than sorry and double check everything is all locked up when you're leaving.