Taste Hallam on Sustainability
Sustainability is big on our agenda here at SHU catering...
So during Fairtrade Fortnight we thought we'd tell you all about some of the great initiatives we support, and give you a glimpse of what we do behind the scenes.
What's new for SHU catering?
- This academic year, we've received the maximum 3 star accreditation from the Sustainable Restaurant Association for our sustainable initiatives, which includes doing things like supporting the local community and global farmers. We even won an award for valuing natural resources too!
- We are one of the first Universities to have implemented a new way of recycling disposable cups with bins located at Central, Cutting Edge and Granary - all cups disposed of in these bins are taken to a specially designed recycling facility. We're also introducing keep cups towards the end of March which will earn you discount off your drink and help save the planet!
Where do our products come from?
- We use as many local suppliers as possible so that we get the freshest produce and support small businesses in Sheffield, Yorkshire and Derbyshire. Keep a look out for the 'I Am Local' signs to see where all our local products are, and ask our friendly staff for more info about where they're from!
- All our tea and coffee is fairly traded, as well as a lot of the snacks and fruit available around campus - keep a look out for the little signs to see where all our fairly traded products are!
How do SHU catering "go further"?
- We hate to waste food, so we donate it to the Salvation Army to help those in need, and to great projects like Real Junk Food, who take surplus food and turn it into tasty dishes!
- Aside from the great sustainable initiatives we support, we aim to provide SHU students and staff with the best quality products at low prices. This is why this year we have introduced great SHUcard deals like the Essentials range, had more £1 Wednesdays and lots of freebies giveaways!
Taste Hallam Event Teaser...
We've got something BIG coming up in March - think freebies galore, food tasting, special offers and the chance to find out more about our local suppliers and where some of your favourite dishes come from…
Keep an eye on SHU Browzer and all will be revealed soon!