Sex is like tea?!
Sometimes the simplest of analogies can explain the most complex of issues...
After watching 'Tea & Consent' we hope that sexual consent and where it begins and ends is a lot clearer. If you're still unsure, here's a breakdown:
- As soon as somebody says no, you STOP. Do not keep trying to push for a yes after this point is as the consent has ended.
- Just because you want to have, does not mean you are entitled to it. Sexual interactions are a two-way thing.
- No matter how close you are to 'doing the deed', no means no. Getting angry at them or pressuring them isn't the answer either. Forced consent is not consent.
- Unconscious and extremely intoxicated people can't give consent! No matter how much you think they want to have sex.
- If you slept with somebody last week, or even an hour ago, this doesn't automatically give you a free pass. Always ask, and always respect their decision.
What you do or don't do is entirely up to you and you should definitely not feel pressured into anything - your body, your life!
The same applies to sexual harassment and groping too. Whether this happens in your accommodation, in a lecture or on a night out it is not ok. Anyone who’s been affected needs to know they can get support.
If you want to talk to someone about your experience, please seek some support:
- Student Support Services: Find them on campus or get in touch via email or online.
- Victim Support: Call them on 08 08 1689111 or speak to them online and request some support.
- Survivors UK: Call on 020 3598 3898 or email them on firstname.lastname@example.org
Don't suffer in silence!
- Read Next
- Awkward social media moments 8 ways to survive a long-distance relationship It's ok not to feel ok... How to make the most of your Christmas break Should you get a job at uni? Dark Nights, Stay Safe You know you're a Hallam student when...
- Going Home for Christmas? Taste Hallam 12 Days of Christmas Apply now for Accommodation! Coping with your workload over Christmas Not going home for Christmas? We've got you!