Going on Placement?
If you're going to be out and about on placement this semester, make sure you remember to follow these top 10 tips from SHU Security Services...
- Let people know where you are going
Put appointments or meetings in your email calendar with names and contact info and make it public to your colleagues, or use an app to alert a network of friends that you're heading out.
- Keep a portable phone charger with you
It sounds simple, but is easily forgotten and you never know when you might need your phone!
- Research and prepare
Before travelling to your placement research the area, city and accommodation. Google Maps and Street View are always useful.
- Save contact details and addresses
Save details to your phone so if something goes wrong, or you're running late you know who to contact. It's also a good idea to write them down in a notebook.
- Driving? Do so safely...
Remember to keep your petrol tank at least half full, set off in good time and be sure to park in a well lit area. Do your best to park somewhere you wont get blocked in!
- Keep your wits about you
Always be vigilant and assess the surroundings. Carry as little as possible and only take what is essential.
- Trust your instincts
If you feel uneasy about anything don't tell yourself it's fine; take action to improve your safety.
- Going abroad? Get more info...
If your placement is abroad, it's a good idea to research insurance and local customs including how to behave, dress and communicate to avoid any embarrassing faux pas.
- No distractions!
Don't bury your head in your phone or juggle a bunch of items that might distract you. Walk with purpose and be alert.
- Keep in touch
If you have problems, concerns or worries about any aspect of your placement be sure to speak to your host supervisor and/or tutor. Don't forget to reach out to your mates - a good chinwag can make the world seem a whole better place!
Psst! Still looking for placement opportunities? Visit UniHub.
- Read Next
- Staying safe on a night out Light Nights, Stay Safe! Drugs - know the risks, know how to get help How to avoid being a broke student Get home with City Taxi & the Safe Taxi Scheme What are your plans this summer? Planning a Night Out? Do it Right... Do you feel safe on campus? Gone in 20 seconds... Your private accommodation shopping list
- Things to do in Sheffield that cost £0.00 Moving out of halls? Make sure you avoid any charges! Owls in the Park 2019 Spending summer in halls? We've got you! Hall of the Week - Truro Court