Going Home for Christmas?
If you're leaving your uni accommodation over the festive period, be sure to follow these top tips from the Hallam Security Services Elves...
1) Make sure your property is secure
Ensure all your windows are closed properly and that all doors are locked after you leave. If your house has a burglar alarm, make sure you put it on when you go. If it doesn't work, report this to your landlord!
2) Don't advertise your valuables to burglars
Make sure all your valuables (laptops, jewellery, cameras) are out of sight! Put them in drawers, cupboards, under your bed - just make sure they can't be seen from the street through your windows.
3) Don't hide keys
Burglars know where to look for hidden door keys, so don't hide them under rocks, flowerpots, or above ledges. Take them home with you.
4) Dispose of gift packaging carefully
If you can, take packaging to a recycling point, make sure you only put your rubbish out just before the collection and do you best to break apart boxes so that they don't advertise the contents of your home to thieves!
5) Register your gifts with Immobilise
New iPad, smart phone, bicycle? make sure that you register your gifts with Immobilise as soon as possible.
- Read Next
- Apply now for Accommodation! What's snug? Why I'm staying at The Elements... Going on Placement? Drugs - know the risks, know how to get help Browzer Picks: Beer Gardens Browzer Picks: Places to eat in Sheffield
- Breaking News - Mumps Varsity 2019 Tickets & Merchandise! Varsity 5k - Danny Porter Foundation City to Collegiate: Free Shuttle Bus! GoGlobal February Trips, Events & Activities