Going Home for Christmas?
If you're leaving your uni accommodation over the festive period, be sure to follow these top tips from the Hallam Security Services Elves...
1) Make sure your property is secure
Ensure all your windows are closed properly and that all doors are locked after you leave. If your house has a burglar alarm, make sure you put it on when you go. If it doesn't work, report this to your landlord!
2) Don't advertise your valuables to burglars
Make sure all your valuables (laptops, jewellery, cameras) are out of sight! Put them in drawers, cupboards, under your bed - just make sure they can't be seen from the street through your windows.
3) Don't hide keys
Burglars know where to look for hidden door keys, so don't hide them under rocks, flowerpots, or above ledges. Take them home with you.
4) Dispose of gift packaging carefully
If you can, take packaging to a recycling point, make sure you only put your rubbish out just before the collection and do you best to break apart boxes so that they don't advertise the contents of your home to thieves!
5) Register your gifts with Immobilise
New iPad, smart phone, bicycle? make sure that you register your gifts with Immobilise as soon as possible.
- Read Next
- Itttttttttttttt'ssssss Christmas! Apply now for Accommodation! Christmas Day Meal with a twist! What's snug? Sheffield Christmas Market Sheffield pop-up cinema Drugs - know the risks, know how to get help Leaving halls for Christmas?
- Going Home for Christmas? Itttttttttttttt'ssssss Christmas! Deadlines looming? Not going home for Christmas? We've got you! How to make the most of your Christmas break