Freshers Week: Myths and Legends
Your first week at Sheffield Hallam is a week you won't forget!
There's a lot to be said about Freshers' Week - some fact, some fiction...
But to clear up some of the things you might have heard, let's take a realistic look at your first week:
1. You'll meet friends for life
If you're lucky, maybe. But don't expect to meet your soulmate after 24 hours in halls. In fact, you might think the guy in the room next door is a bit of an idiot, and he probably thinks the same about you! Freshers' Week gives you a chance to meet loads of people, but it's not the only opportunity you'll have to make friends.
Further into the term, you'll find that with socials, societies and seminars there's a much bigger world beyond your halls.
2. The fun begins and ends on campus
Hallam Union will have lots of events planned during the day and at night, and there's obviously a lot happening on campus during the first week with Freshers' and the Freebie Fair, but the fun doesn't have to end there!
As well as enjoying what Sheffield Hallam has to offer, why not check out what's going on in Sheffield?
3. You'll have your best nights out during Freshers
You might do, or you might find that the things you do during Freshers' aren't to your taste. But as time wears on, relationships are solidified or new friends are made. You have a better idea of what's going on around campus too, so you can have more choice when deciding what you do!
In the mean time, enjoy Freshers' for what it is: an opportunity to have a lot of fun with new people, in a new place.
4. It's the most stressful time you'll have at uni
Freshers Week can be difficult. You've left home and things may not go as you expected, but in the grand scheme of things Freshers' Week is a breeze! In a few weeks time when you're balancing late nights with early lectures and a social life - things will seem harder.
Homesickness is completely natural, and lots of students will feel the same way as you, but these worries shouldn't last forever. If they do, talk to someone about it (friends, family, Student Support Services).
Along with all the uni essentials...the most important thing to take is an open mind!
- Read Next
- Living Together 101: Breaking the ice 5 things to do before you get to SHU! Keep Calm and Keep Safe Hallam Help Points Sport & Lifestyle Fair How to get on with your flatmates... Browzer Picks - Welcome Week Fairs 2018 Freebies Fair
- Arrivals Weekend: Keys & Car Parking Freshers Week: Myths and Legends Sheffield Freshers' Nights Out What's happening at The Elements #12 Meadowhall Student Night