One symptom of mental health issues is avoidance.
This could lead to not attending your lectures or even cancelling plans with your friends. The following simple steps can help you overcome avoidance:
- Find and identify a target or goal
- Action. Decide on the steps you need to take to get to the goal
- Coping. Identify coping strategies and use them
- Evaluate. How did it go?
Before putting this tactic into action, remember that the first time facing a situation will always be the hardest. But once you've overcome the first hurdle you'll feel less nervous as you become more familiar with the situation you felt so anxious about before.
It's important to work hard to get to a place you feel comfortable with.
Blog by Helen Alty (Graduate Intern for Online Platforms)
- Read Next
- Tips for negative thinkers... How YOU can help someone's mental health Let's be positive about male body image! Do you have a positive relationship with your bed? How I deal with stress How I funded my summer... The do's and don'ts of SHU exams Need help managing your money? Before you apply, check your social media... How green are you? How to be the BEST neighbour Getting around campus
- SHU Jobs: Student Accommodation Assistant Breaking News - Car Parking Breaking News - Mumps Living at The Elements? Donate to the S2 Food Bank! Tips for negative thinkers...