In the UK a bicycle is stolen on average every minute!
Cyclists are more likely to have their bicycles stolen than motorcyclists their motorcycle, or car owners their cars, but fear not! SHU Security Services are here to help!
We'll have a stand on Level 5, Owen Building at City Campus from 19th-23rd March with lots of useful info for you to take away - come and see us!
In the meantime, we've got your back with these top tips...
- Do record a description of your bike to include the make, model and frame number. Take a photo and note any distinctive marks or features and their exact location.
- Do mark your bike with a property marking kit and register it with immobilise or a similar property register scheme.
- Do lock it up with good quality, sturdy locks (both wheels and frame) whenever and wherever you park, even if just for a few minutes.
- Do keep receipts as proof of purchase in case you need to make a claim on your insurance.
- Don't leave your bike unattended, not even for a second unless it has been locked.
- Don't park it in the dark, poorly lit, lonely places, even if it has been secured.
- Don't leave your bike unlocked in the garden, outside of uni or at your halls, store it in a lockable garage/out building, or use recognised cycle stands and lock it.
- Don't leave accessories on the bike that may be attractive to thieves and can easily be removed such as lights and quick release saddles.
Bringing your bicycle to uni? There's plenty of cycle parking at both City and Collegiate Campus.