Want to work while you are a student? Here is how to get a National Insurance Number...
Why do I need a National Insurance number?
You pay National Insurance contributions to qualify for certain benefits and the State Pension.
You pay National Insurance if you’re 16 or over and either:
•an employee earning above £166 a week
•self-employed and making a profit of £6,365 or more a year
Even if you earn under this amount per week, it is important to have an NI number; without it, you may be charged at a higher tax rate for any weeks where you work full-time, eg in a vacation period.
You have one National Insurance number for life; no need to reapply when you change job.
How to get a National Insurance number
- Employers will ask you for your National Insurance Number.
- If you are from outwith the UK and you want to work part time during your studies, you can apply using the steps below.
- You must have a UK address to apply.
- You need to first of all apply by PHONE.
Call the Job-Centre Plus - National Insurance number allocation service
Telephone: 0800 141 2075 Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
- Jobcentre Plus may write to you and ask you to come to an interview where you’ll be asked about your circumstances and why you need a National Insurance number. The interview will usually be one-to-one (unless, for example, you need an interpreter). The interviewer will ask you questions about your background and circumstances. The interviewer may also ask you to fill in an application form. The letter will also tell you which documents to bring to prove your identity, eg:
- passport/identity card
- residence permit card (if you have it), Note; some
- birth/adoption certificate
- driving licence
- Proof of address (The Student Help Point-RGU can produce a proof of address letter for you).
- The job centre in Aberdeen is at: Ebury House, 14 Dee St, Aberdeen AB11 6DR
You should be told at the interview how long it’ll take to receive your National Insurance number.
More information: www.gov.uk/nationalinsurance
- Read Next
- RGU Book Club FOOS YER DOOS?! - Spotlight on Aberdeen Culture LOOKIN' EFTER YERSEL! : Spotlight on Health FIT LIKEY?! : Meet the Student Help Point Team Getting a COVID Test A Scottish Story with Shortbread RGU Counselling & Wellbeing Guide to Online/Phone Sessions A Guide to Aberdeen Online during Lock Down In Need of a Buddy? : Join the Online RGU Student Buddy Scheme Dealing with Stress
- Want to work while you are a student? Here is how to get a National Insurance Number... Getting a COVID Test Top 10 things to do in Aberdeen Dealing with Stress Everything to do with eggs! Food hacks to save you money Cooking: The perfect pasta & rice Introducing your RGU e-Hub Is it done yet? Target Jobs Undergraduate of the Year Awards