Cookies help us deliver our services. By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

I Agree.


Registering with a Doctor as a new student - RGU

By AGoldhawk 25 Aug 2019

In Aberdeen most medical practices operate a catchment area policy, where you should register with the practice that is closest to your Aberdeen address, to find your local practice please search through the following link: Find Your Local GP

All students are entitled to register with a doctor surgery (medical practice) on arrival in the UK. You should register as soon as you can, so that if you become ill you can be seen quickly by telephoning your registered practice for an appointment.

Please note: medical practices do not offer drop-in facilities, you need to book an appointment to see a doctor or nurse.

What do You need to Register?

In order to register you will require a proof of address letter (which you can get from the Student Help Point, Floor 3, Ishbel Gordon Building), A form of photographic ID, and the practice will ask you to complete their own registration forms when you are there. It can sometimes take 24-48 hours to become registered on the system, however your practice will explain all of this at the time of registration.

Emergency Out of Hours Medical Advice

Most medical practices are open from 8am until 6pm. Outwith these hours, for emergency advice please call NHS 24 on 111 if you are unwell and feel that it cannot wait until the next weekday morning.

It is important to still register with a GP even if you need to use NHS 24 as this will be one the questions they ask you.

NHS 24 Website - 

Cost of Medical Treatment

UK students: free

EU students:

BREXIT ‘Deal’ situation - information for students currently in the UK or coming to the UK before 31 December 2020

Most students are able to obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from their country of residence prior to coming to the UK. This card allows EEA nationals to get the same medical treatment, which is free to residents of the country they are visiting, without being charged.

Brexit ‘No Deal’ situation - information for students currently in the UK or coming to the UK if the UK leaves the EU without a deal

The UK government (the Department of Health and Social Care) has published guidance pages giving information about accessing healthcare in the UK in the event of a ‘no deal’ situation: 


Aberdeen’s hospital is called Aberdeen Royal Infirmary (ARI) and is based at:

Foresterhill Road,

Aberdeen AB25 2ZN

Tel: 0345 456 6000

If calling from abroad dial 00 44 345 456 6000

First Bus no 3 (from Union Terrace) or Stagecoach no 59 (from Guild Street and Union Terrace) go to the hospital.

Accident and Emergency Department

Open 24 hours for accidents, injuries

and medical emergencies.

Foresterhill Road,

Aberdeen AB25 2ZN

Tel: 0345 456 6000

The Emergency Department should not be used for conditions that should be seen by your GP practice, pharmacist or minor injury service. If you are unsure about which service to access, contact NHS 24 (Tel: 111) who can offer advice.

International: Tier 4 visa holders of over 6 months validity

As part of your visa application you will be required to pay an Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS). This is currently £300 per 12 months in the UK. Paying the IHS entitles you to routine healthcare under the National Health Service (NHS) in the UK. We advise that you register with a doctor when you arrive in Aberdeen to access NHS medical treatment.

International: Tier 4 visa holders of less than 6 months validity and Short-term study visa holders

If you are coming to the UK as a Tier 4 visa holder of less than 6 months validity or on a short-term study visa, you are advised to take out private medical insurance before you arrive in the UK. You can register with a National Health Service practice. Please be aware that as a private patient you will have to pay for consultation, treatment and any medication.

If you have any questions please go to and look at our FAQ's or contact us by emailing