International Students: What to bring to uni
Now the excitement has started to kick in that you're going to university VERY soon, it's time to think about what to pack!
It can be tempting to bring everything you own, but you only need the essentials. To make your life a little easier, here is a list of all the main things you need to pack...
- Pack lightly - Uni rooms can be small with limited storage and so travel light if you can.
- Don't buy lots of expensive stuff - Most things that you use will just last for one year, so don't worry about spending a lot of money. You can buy most things once you arrive in the UK at inexpensive shops like Argos, Wilkos and Ikea.
- Check what the uni is providing - Double check what will be in your bedroom and kitchen once you arrive to save time and money.
Here are things you MUST remember:
- Medication (you may be able to get this in the UK) and don't forget to register with a UK doctor
- Photos from home
- Travel adapter
Most other items can be bought once you arrive:
- Bedding (mattress protector, pillows, quilt, sheets)
- Warm clothes
- Sports kit
- Cleaning items
- Kitchen utensils
- Waterproof raincoat, this is Britain after all...
- Coffee, tea, mugs, food
There are also things that you CAN'T bring to uni:
- Rice cookers or chip fryers
- Candles, incense sticks, tea lights
- Smoking equipment, such as pipes and ashtrays
- Dartboards or weapons of any kind (real or replicas - please don't bring them)
Time to start packing!
- Read Next
- RGU Counselling & Wellbeing : Meet the Team #RGUTogether : Celebrating the RGU Community RGU Support for Front Line Workers A Guide to Aberdeen Online during Lock Down RGU Buddy Blog : The Benefits of Exercise to Students RGU Counselling and Wellbeing Services RGU Employability Hub : Student Job Opportunities and Advice In Need of a Buddy? : Join the Online RGU Student Buddy Scheme Coping with Covid : Looking after your Mental Health Food and Delivery Services in Aberdeen
- Want to work while you are a student? Here is how to get a National Insurance Number... Top 10 things to do in Aberdeen Dealing with Stress Food and Delivery Services in Aberdeen Everything to do with eggs! Food hacks to save you money Cooking: The perfect pasta & rice Introducing your RGU e-Hub Is it done yet? Target Jobs Undergraduate of the Year Awards