Do you want to have a paid development opportunity for summer 2018? The STARS programme (Student Tourism Ambassador Role Scotland) is hiring now!
We are looking for people to join us at Edinburgh Airport and Virgin Trains East Coast in Waverly Station. These roles set you out on the front line of customer service interacting with every passenger and it would be your job to make them feel welcome and make sure they know their way around and what there is to do in Edinburgh and the rest of Scotland. Through a warm welcome, we create a seamless journey, guiding people from the main transport hubs to major tourist attractions. We do this by working with all other STARS, across all locations.
The STARS programme started in the airport in 2015, with originally three STARS. Since then the programme grew to four sites in 2017, welcoming hundreds of thousands of visitors to Scotland. We have developed students skills so they can gain get the most from the experience. For example, this summer you could be working during the day at the Airport but then have a shift the next day with Virgin Trains. STARS who have worked across multiple sites previously have found it very beneficial. We encourage everyone at QMU regardless of age/year/subject area to apply. We have had STARS from across all subject areas such as Speech and Language therapy, Events Management, Drama and Performance, Occupational Therapy and Podiatry!
What does the programme involve?
- Meeting and greeting passengers with a warm and friendly smile
- Being a professional and personable
- Having a drive and interest for the industry
- Using an IPad to obtain and give accurate information regarding the customer’s needs
- Collating different types of data to feedback to employers
- Knowledge of Edinburgh in order to give advice
- 5-8 hour shifts
What will I gain form the programme?
- Firsthand experience of dealing with international tourists
- Experience in the field of tourism, travel and events
- An hourly pay rate of £8.05 +
- Development of problem solving skills
- Increase confidence and boost employability
Testimonials from STARS:
“Every single shift there are new problems to be solved on the spot. I have learned to approach these in a calm way giving me much more confidence when dealing with visitors.”
“It has given me more experience with working in a diverse organisation, which will be good for the future when working in a large organisation. Especially as before I had not had much experience talking to people whose first language isn’t English.”
“My proactivity has improved hugely; I can now comfortably spot someone who needs help and be able to go up to them without second guessing myself or being shy.”
Who can apply?
- Any matriculated QMU Student (regardless of course).
How do I apply?
- Complete the application here https://qmu.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/stars-application and then send your CV via email.
Candidates applying for Virgin must be available for the majority of these dates: 30/03/2018, 02/04/2018, 07/05/2018, 2nd-16th May, 3rd-26th August. If you have any questions or enquiries, please contact us for more information
Application closing date: 25/02/2018