Fava beans are a broad green legume that grow in long pods and are popular in many Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisines.
Makes around 4 portions of this salad.
Preparation time is about 25 minutes, but may be longer if you peel the fava beans.
What ingredients will you need?
- 1 kg of fava beans, preferably fresh, but good quality frozen ones will be fine as well
- 1 hot chilli pepper
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 big yellow onion, or 2 smaller ones
- 1 handful of chopped dill
- 3 heaping spoons of butter, or other fat suitable for frying
And this is how the magic happens:
- Put the fava beans in water and cook on hob until the water is boiling. If you have any preferences, you can cook for a longer or shorter time.
- On the pan, melt the butter. Add the finely chopped onion, and salt it a little. Cook it on a low to medium temperature until translucent.
- Check how spicy is the chilli pepper. If it’s really hot, you may want to remove the seeds. Cut it into small pieces.
- Peel the cloves of garlic and crush them, or chop finely.
- When the onion became somewhat see-through, add garlic and chilli pepper. Let it cook for about a minute or two, and then add the chopped dill.
- Put the cooked fava beans on a coriander, and pour some cold water over them. If you prefer fava beans without the skin, peel them.
- Stir the fava beans and the onion-garlic-pepper mix together.
- Serve with some toasted bread.