International Students: Welcome to QMU!
Congratulations! You have accepted your place at Queen Margaret University and we look forward to your arrival.
We understand it can be overwhelming moving to a new country or city, and we are here to help. If you need any information from travelling to QMU to meeting other International students, and any activities going on around campus - the QMU International Page on the QMU website tells you everything you need to know.
We operate drop-in surgery hours during term time;
Monday afternoons (2.00pm-5.00pm)
Thursday mornings (10.00am-12.00noon)
In case of any changes, you can check with the Registry Information Point on Level 1 of the Academic Building.
The International Office organise a number of social events for international students throughout the year. These are usually held in conjunction with the Student’s Union and include a familiarisation tour of Edinburgh, a Christmas lunch and other activities throughout the year. Follow our Facebook Page to keep up to date with all the latest event.
We also encourage international students to volunteer, as a way of getting to know the local language, community and culture. If you would like more information about any of these things, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To break the ice and help you settle in, QMU has added a few events to your calendar so make sure to note these down!
Sunday 9th September - International Students Induction event. Join us in the Main Academic Building at 9.30am for a full overview on life at QMU. Full details of what is included on the day can be found in your student handbook (your welcome packs will be provided here so do not miss out!). The induction will commence at 10.00am once you have all arrived.
*All International Students entering on a Student Visa MUST ARRIVE IN TIME to attend the International Students Induction event on Sunday 9th September Failure to do so may result in delaying your matriculation and affect your Student Visa*
The induction will include:
- An introduction to the university and the campus
- Guidance and support on matriculation (including issues relating to Student Visas and monitoring of attendance)
- Insight into Student Support Services at QMU including careers, counselling, disability, finance, welfare and via support
- Introduction to student clubs, societies, and volunteering opportunities
- Receive your welcome pack with useful information and special offers
For more information and everything you need to know, please read the International Student Pre Arrival Handbook September 2018.
- Read Next
- International Students Induction Week What should I bring to uni? THE apps for moving to a new city QMU Freshers: Freshers' Fair QMU Freshers: Edinburgh Witchery Tour QMU Freshers: Speed Friending Get your Freshers' wristband now QMU Freshers: Full Moon Party Lunch moves back to 1875 QMU Freshers: Bootcamp QMU Freshers: Meet Rocco the SU Dog Do you want to work as a student ambassador? QMU Freshers: Cheese & Wine QMU Freshers: "Go and get the messages"
- This week's menu in 1875! Accommodation - Helpful Information Are fitness classes included in the membership? What will my room look like? First Aid at Work Qualification