Free For Students
Being a student can be great, it can also be tough on the ol' purse.
Luckily there's a few tips & schemes that will help look after those pennies.
First and most obvious: Student Discount
Your student card is more than just access to library books and an embarrassing picture. It is swathes of discounts in shops and restaurants.
Cast pride aside and ask wherever you go
Along the same lines: Co-op 10% discount
All Co-op shops offer 10% discount for students with a Young Scot Card, TOTUM or NUS card.
Find out more HERE
Onto the bigger savings: Council Tax
All full-time students on courses lasting at least 1 year and with more than 21 hours study per week are exempt from Council Tax.
If not everyone in your home is a student, there may still be discounts available.
Find out more HERE
Now, the more complicated: TV License
Netflix is great and all but sometimes you need a wee reminder of home with a bit of BBC iplayer. However to stream BBC you require a TV license
In some circumstances students...
- whose main residence is still their family home when not at university
- whose family have a licencse
- whose device is only powered by internal batteries
- And whose device isn't connected to mains
will be covered by the families TV license.
Click HERE to find out more and make sure you are covered
Illegally watching TV can incur a fine
Onto the simpler: Microsoft Office
All you need to get Office 365 for free (not just a trial) is an eligible student email
Click HERE to find out more
And the delicious: Food Taster
Become a Food Taster at QMU and get to try foods for free and earn £10-£20 vouchers.
It takes less than an hour and you can do as many or as few as you like.
The only requirement is that you don't have any food intolerances or allergies as they cannot guartee their absence.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to get involved
And finally: Free E-books and Audiobooks
Now this one is not just for students
All librarys in Edinburgh offer free e-bike downloads. All you need is a valid library card and a thirst for knowledge or adventure.
You can access the e-books you download on tablets, smart phones and computers.
- Read Next
- What you should watch based on your subject area... Library Account Book Challenge Support at QMU Lockdown Stories....Sarah Lockdown Stories.......Connor Lockdown Stories.....Jamie Lockdown Stories......Ellen Lockdown Stories.......Stuart QMUPodcast Conferences & Events Newsletter - April 2020
- Upright bike Tyler's Blog: Make yourself visible: Create an ePortfolio Single Arm Row Maja's Blog: Asexuality Meet the Catering Team...Alan Scott, our new Sous Chef Self-Service password reset available now Way 2 Pay - Your QMU best friend The ResLife Team Assisted Chin Up 10 Uses For Coffee Grounds