Accommodation - Helpful Information
The Accommodation Reception is based in Block A. The Accommodation staff will be happy to assist you with and enquiries or concerns that you may have. The office is open:
- Monday - Thursday, 9am - 5pm
- Friday, 9am - 4.30pm
A self-service laundry is located next to the Accommodation Reception and is open daily from 8am – 11.30pm. The charge for the use of washing machines is £2.20 - £2.70 per cycle and £1.00 for a tumble dry cycle. You are advised to supervise all aspects of your own laundry to ensure that nothing goes missing. The laundry is only available until 11.30pm at night for use.
Mail and Postal Address
Mail is delivered directly to the Accommodation Reception by the Royal Mail, including parcels, recorded deliveries, etc. Ensure that you issue friends, relatives, your bank, etc. with your full, correct postal address at the residences. This mail is distributed into flat mailboxes located within the hospitality suite, if you receive any large parcels these will be kept at the Accommodation reception.
Please use the following address format when ordering/receiving parcels: Your Full Name Block: X Flat: X-X Room: X(Example: Block A Flat 0-1 Room A) Student Residences, Queen Margaret University, Musselburgh East Lothian EH21 6UD (The postcode is specific to the residences so 6UU should not be used)
Please contact Security on 0131 474 0000. They are 24/7, 365 days a year and based on campus at the main reception.
If the fire alarm sounds, you must evacuate the building immediately – even if it is a false alarm and even if it is cold, wet and 5am in the morning – no exceptions!
Fire alarms are tested weekly on Thursdays between 12pm and 1pm. You will hear intermittent soundings of the alarm for approximately 10 seconds. You do not need to evacuate the building during alarm testing.
In an emergency, please contact a member of staff immediately at the Accommodation Reception during office hours or Security the Main Building out of hours.
For any non-emergency repairs please complete our Repair Request Form found online. If you are not able to complete the online repair request form you can complete a paper copy at the Accommodation reception.
Requests for IT support are handled by the Assist helpdesk. If you have a query, issue or problem you can contact Assist in a number of ways:
- By Telephone - Dial 0131 474 0000 and ask for Assist or Assist Helpdesk. Phones are staffed during opening hours (08:00am - 17:00pm, Monday - Friday)
- By Email - staff will respond to your email during opening hours
- Self Service - You can log requests for assistance via the Assist SelfService portal.
- In person - You can visit the Library Resource Centre (LRC) helpdesk if you are on campus.
QMU are keen to record, investigate and respond to legitimate complaints. A copy of our complaints procedure and complaints forms are available from the Accommodation Reception.
Code of Conduct
When you accepted and signed your accommodation contract you agreed to abide by the University Accommodation Code of Conduct. We would encourage you to read carefully what is expected in terms of your behaviour and conduct whilst a student living at QMU.
Main points are:
- Keep noise to an absolute minimum after 11pm to avoid complaints about noise and disturbance. Quiet time is 11pm - 8am. During these times please report an disturbances to Security by calling 0131 474 0000. Please be considerate towards other residents who may be trying to work or sleep. In the evening and at night do not congregate in the street, by the block entrances or on staircases and in corridors. At all times, keep televisions, radios, stereos, etc at a low volume and shut doors quietly. If returning to the residences during the evenings please consider residents who are asleep. If you experience problems with noise and are not able to resolve the situation yourself please contact the Security.
- Queen Margaret University operates a strict non-smoking policy within all areas of the residences. External ash bins are located adjacent to block entrances – please use these areas and keep noise to a minimum.
- Absolutely do not tamper with fire detection equipment – we have a zero tolerance policy regarding this type of misconduct.Any malicious interference with fire detection/fighting equipment is a criminal offence. Any persons responsible for malicious use of such equipment will be subject to formal disciplinary action .
All reports of misconduct within the residences will be investigated and disciplinary action taken, if necessary.
The Accommodation Services team is on hand to give you advice and support you throughout your time staying on campus, making sure you are happy and settled in your new home. We are able to solve many areas of concern that you may have about your accommodation and we will point you in the direction of other services that may be of help. We can provide mediation between flatmates, room moves and resolution of any complaints that are brought to their attention.
ResLife Assistants are on duty every evening and over the weekend. They are here to help you and can provide advice on a number of issues and signpost to other services. Your Wardens also encourage good health and safety practice amongst student and ensure good order for students living on campus. Check the Wardens’ notice board next to the laundry for drop-in session times.
The University’s Student Services is a professional support department working to ensure students have the information, advice, guidance and opportunities necessary to support their successful experience and achievement whilst studying at QMU. They can advise on areas of careers and student employment, disability advice, counselling, student funding advice, transition and pre-entry guidance and student health care support.
- Read Next
- Things only Edinburgh locals will know... ResLife Help and Support Useful QMU contacts Get active with QMU sports memberships Need to talk? Stina's Blog: How to keep sane during exam season Coriander & Lime Chicken Recipe Stina's Blog: DIY Spa Day Paulina's Blog: Early Morning Salad Jessica's Blog: Games We Play, Band Review Unbelievably Easy Mince Pies Recipe Tea-soaked Sultana & Cinnamon Swirl Recipe Quinoa Porridge Recipe Paulina's Blog: Lazy Dumplings Fennel & Apple Slaw Recipe
- This week's menu in 1875 Your Food is on the Move Important: Exam results information Student Shopping Guide to Musselburgh Meet the Sports Staff......Mark