You may be excited about moving into your new home and thinking about leaving your belongings and heading off for the summer.
However there are a few things you need to remember to do, or you might find yourself in a bit of a jam next year…
- Checking your deposit is protected - Your deposit should be protected in an authorised scheme and you should have been provided with the prescribed information within 30 days of handing over the money.
- Inventories - It’s really important to take an inventory when you move in. Photographs and videos are always useful.
- Meter readings and payments - Take meter readings and give them to the utility suppliers – taking a photograph for future reference is always good. Some suppliers may charge late payment fees and any debts could affect your credit score!
- Setting up utility bills - You will need to change the names on your utility bills as soon as you move in – the start date is usually the date on your tenancy agreement but this may vary depending on the terms. If in doubt ask Manchester Student Homes.
- Appliances - Clear instructions about how to use any appliance should be available; you should not have to guess!
- Registering with a GP - Registered with a local GP and dental practise – you can find one on the NHS website.
- Register to Vote - Don’t forget to register to vote! It’s really easy and simple and can be done online.
- Insurance - Buy content insurance for your valuables! Endsleigh specialises in student insurance and is usually very competitive for a full years cover.
Or for more details and useful contacts, as well as information about moving into a house/flat, with Manchester Student Homes’ Start of Tenancy Information Pack.
- Be a Good Neighbour - Please remember that you are part of a wider community and it is important to show consideration for your neighbours whose lifestyles are likely to be different from yours, such as young families and older residents. Students are, and continue to be, the best possible ambassadors for the University simply by being good and considerate neighbours.
Manchester Student Homes, Unit 1-3 Ladybarn House, Moseley Road, Fallowfield, Manchester, M14 6ND
Tel: 0161 275 7680