The secret to being the GREATEST housemate ever
Well, it's not really a secret but...
Don't be THAT guy (or girl) who continuously tests the patience of everyone in your house or flat!
It's going to be everyone's home for the next year so it's important everyone feels like it's their home.
Here are some wise words of undisputed wisdom...
- Lots of people are in the same boat as you. Don't just sit in your room feeling sorry for yourself. Make an effort to go out and meet some new people- but remember to give them their space when they need it too.
- The most common source of annoyance = washing up. Get a rota sorted asap so it's not the same person doing it day after day!
- Don't just help yourself to a housemate's tea and biscuits, drink their beer or eat their pasta if you haven't all agreed to share your food and drink - it won't go unnoticed!
- Not everybody likes the same music as you. Try to keep your sound down when playing music or wear headphones if you have them.
- If you can see a conflict brewing (dirty dish related or otherwise), bring it up with your housemates and discuss it before it gets out of hand.
When it comes to getting on with housemates, little gestures can go a long way.
Things like taking out the bins when they're full, keeping your area of the kitchen tidy, and respecting that after 9pm you should probably keep the noise down.
Following these words of wisdom should make for happy housemates, and hopefully, good friendships.
- Read Next
- Awkward things that happen when making friends A cringe free guide to making friends at Uni You know you're a student when... Feeling homesick? You're not alone! Picking the right flatmate/housemates Making it on your own: Laundry 5 things to do when you have settled in Short Term Lets Daisy Bank Halls: From a Daisy Bank Veteran So, you like sport? How We Can Help At Birley Student Living Reception
- How We Can Help At Birley Student Living Reception Hacks that could save you some serious cash Keeping your mental health in check at university How to deal with noisy neighbours when in private housing 12 genius clothing hacks you NEED to know