Picking the right flatmate/housemates
So, many of you will have started to look for a place to stay next year, but finding the right flatmates can be tricky!
To start off, here are some questions to ask yourself before making your decision...
1. Do you and your new flatmates have similar opinions on what is loud and what is quiet?
Differences in timetables can be problematic. Make sure everyone understands if people work late or start early so you can be respectful of the amount of noise you're making.
2. Are you happy to share your belongings?
This may not be an issue at this point, but it's good to have clear boundaries from the start when it comes to borrowing peoples things, especially food.
3. Will your new flatmates clean up after themselves? What is their degree of cleanliness and what is yours? Getting to grips with your level of cleanliness and of those around you is key to housemate harmony. Is cleaning once a week enough? Just bear this in mind- you don't want to have to be constantly cleaning up after everybody.
4. Do your potential flatmates have the same kind of work ethic? Would this affect you?
Think about attitudes to uni work and part-time jobs, do they like to go out a lot or stay in? If you want to get your head down to study, will they be respectful of that?
5. Does your potential flatmate/s have a partner? Will you be comfortable with their partner staying at your house?
What kind of people will your flatmates bring home?
Be aware that everyone is allowed to have guests but it might be worth laying down some ground rules on how long they can stay. You don't want people staying over for long periods of time using your water and electricity!
Hope these help you consider potential flatmates/ housemates carefully!
- Read Next
- How to resolve any problems with Flatmates How We Can Help At Birley Student Living Reception 10 best things about being a Student Ambassador 5 things to do when you have settled in What's already provided in Birley flats? How I made friends at uni
- Spotlight on... Manchester Met Halls Missed the RA recruitment deadline? You should read this! Moving out of halls? Don't forget your 'Outduction'! 10 best things about being a Student Ambassador When home doesn't feel like home anymore...