As a student, you want to experience everything Manchester has to offer whilst at university and this means going off campus. The city is an amazing place to explore and, as with every busy community, keeping safe should be a priority. SO... here are some useful tips that will help you keep safe.
- Plan your route before you set off, this will minimise you needing to use your mobile or iPads for directions. When planning your route, stick to busy areas rather than side streets or going off the beaten track.
- Stay alert when walking and avoid wearing earphones, as this increases your awareness of your surroundings.
- Only use licensed taxis, which you can identify as they have a yellow plate next to the number plate, and also yellow stickers with the company name on the side of the vehicle.
- Book taxis in advance by phone or online via a taxi company app. Licensed taxis do not usually pick up customers without a booking as they are not insured to drive the customer in this circumstance. This is often a good way of telling if a driver is reputable.
- It is always a good idea, where possible, to share taxis with friends as this saves you money and it feels safer travelling together. Avoid sharing taxis with people you don’t know.
- Manchester is lucky in that we have night bus services, however make sure you check whether there is a night service on your route if you plan to use this.
- Let your friends and/or flatmates know your planned route and when you are intending to be back.
Manchester's Student Safe Zones are made of a group of businesses along Oxford Road and Wilmslow Road. They are available for anyone being followed, feeling vulnerable or unwell. Anyone visiting the venues as part of the scheme can also request assistance to book a taxi home. Once inside the venue acts as a safe spot and you can ask staff to contact the Police or emergency services, or just wait inside until the problem passes. Premises signed up to the scheme will feature a sticker promoting the fact that they are one of the zones. Student Safety Zones can be found here.