Pasta and rice are quick, easy and staple ingredients in lots of different dishes...
Both fit well with any cuisine, will fill you up and, require very little skill!
Here are some insider tips that will help you cook delicious pasta:
- Put the dry pasta in a serving bowl to measure it so you can estimate the serving size.
- Add some salt to the boiling water while you cook the pasta, this will bring out the flavour and speed up the cooking time.
- Pasta takes around 10-15 minutes to cook. But to test if it’s ready, take a piece out with a fork and take a bite. If there's a white ring in it the pasta is not cooked yet.
- Drain the pasta over the sink with a colander. If you want to add other ingredients, put the pasta back in the pan (without water) and add your sauce/other ingredients.
- The longer you cook pasta, the softer it will be, if you like your pasta al dente cook for around 10 minutes. Cooking time will also depend on the type of pasta (e.g. long spaghetti requires a shorter cooking period.
How to cook basmati rice:
- Rice can roughly be measured by half an average teacup per person, so a full mug should make enough for two.
- Put the rice in a bowl and rinse in cold water to get rid of the starch, this will make it less sticky and easier to cook.
- Put the rice in a pan and cover with about a fingertips depth of water.
- Bring to the boil then leave to simmer, covering the rice with a pan lid. There is no need to stir it
- After about 10 minutes all of the water should have evaporated to leave fluffy rice.