Homesickness is a part of many a student's university experience.
Although we hope that you don't fall into this category, perhaps you feel like Sarah?
So here are her 5 tips for beating homesickness:
- Get out of bed! When you are homesick, you might feel like you want to stay in bed all day. But this will make you feel mopey and more tired. Even if you are going into the living room, or sitting at your desk on your laptop... get up, have a shower and look for something to do.
- Connect with home. Luckily we are in the age of the internet and you can keep in touch with your loved ones back home from time to time. Sarah signed up to games on her phone with her friends back home - is this something you could try?
- Make a plan. If you start the day with a plan, you are more likely to get up and do things. Why not organize a trip to look at the local area with your flatmates, and there are tons of events to attend on campus which you can find here.
- Fill up your day. The more time you are alone, the more time you will be thinking about home. Make sure you are attending your induction activities for your course, have you visited The Union? Even if you are just chatting in the kitchen with your flatmates, it keeps you busy and stops your mind wandering.
- Do something you love. No one likes to feel down, and what better way to balance this than enjoying your favourite meal (£1 Dominos anyone?!), taking part in a sport or watching that rom-com you love? We all need our comforts - make sure you're getting yours.