Accommodation

Don't get left feeling the heat...

By AdamResLife 25 Sep 2016

A large part of the university experience takes place in your accommodation. Maybe this is the first time you have lived away from home, which is exciting but also comes with responsibilities. Our partners at CampusLife have created a brilliant informational video around fire safety within your accommodation.

 

Some key points to take away:

  • Never leave your cooking unattended; whether it is on the hob, in the grill or in the toaster. This is especially true if you have had a drink, year on year drunk students fall asleep while their food is burning; don't get a surprise wake up from the fire alarm.
  • Do not tamper with fire equipment. This includes covering smoke/heat detectors, setting off fire alarms and tampering with fire extinguishers. All are there for your safety, and this is an illegal act which the university will always follow up.
  • Keep fire doors shut. In the unfortunate event of a fire happening, these doors can drastically slow down the spread of damage. They're in place to protect you, let them do their job!
  • Be aware of banned items; each one has a reason. Many students don't realise that candles and insence fall into this category, as well as extra furniture. If you have any questions, speak to your accommodation reception.
  • Seek permission before bringing additional electrical items into your accommodation. These items need to be PAT tested to ensure they don't pose a fire risk. This can be done by contacting the Accommodation Office.

In the Student Living team, we hope that everyone gets the most out of their accommodation & regular fire inspections are made to ensure the safety of all out students. We have every faith you will play your part. STAY SAFE!

Cookies help us deliver our services. By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

Don't show this message again.