All the fashion essentials for a British summer
British summertime can be very unpredictable - one minute it’s chucking it down with rain, the next it's 30 degrees and you’re sweating in your coat.
The average temperature is about 15 degrees Celsius (60 degrees Fahrenheit), meaning the temperature can vary a lot on a daily basis. The temperature also varies a lot from North to South so it really depends where you go to university!
In terms of fashion, it’s fun to be able to wear a variety of different clothes but it does mean you need a broad range of things.
Here are a few essentials:
- Jacket: A lightweight jacket with either a hood (or bonus item an umbrella). I usually carry this around with me even in a heatwave because you never know when the weather will turn.
- Sunglasses: Even if it’s raining, the sun will probably come out from behind a cloud at some point. Also, sunglasses are one of my favourite accessories because they make any outfit look glam. But, remember to take them off when the sun does in - only celebrities wear sunglasses in the dark!
- Jeans: I live in jeans in the UK because I hate being cold and I don’t want to risk it. A lot of summer days will be skirts or shorts weather, but you can never go wrong with a pair of jeans.
Have a lovely summer and make sure you're prepared for anything. Who knows, we might even get some snow!
- Read Next
- Let's go travelling, on a budget! What you'll miss about University over summer... How I funded my summer... How I survive exam season Advice to my first year self You know you're a student when.... Things that happen when you go home for summer... Making it on your own: Laundry Spending summer in halls? We've got you! Going home for Summer? The best places to eat in MCR What is it like for International students at MMU? Got a job interview?
- Spotlight on... Manchester Met Halls Things that happen when you go home for summer... 10 fun things to do in Manchester Things only your BEST friends can get away with How to make your second year house safe