Here is a simple, cheap and tasty recipe which you are going to love...
Falafels are popular throughout the Middle-East. They are a fried ball or patty made from ground chickpeas, beans, or both. They are commonly served in a pita or wrapped in a flatbread, and are topped with salads, pickled vegetables, and occasionally hot sauce.
They can be eaten alone as a snack or served as a side dish.
What you'll need:
- 2 tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 400g can chickpeas, washed and drained
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- handful parsley, chopped, or 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 egg, beaten
How to make it:
1. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large pan, frying the onion and garlic for 5 mins until softened.
2. Tip into a large mixing bowl with the chickpeas and spices, then mash together until the chickpeas are totally broken down.
3. Stir in the parsley or dried herbs, add seasoning.
4. Add the egg, then squish the mixture together with your hands!
5. Mould the mix into 6 balls, then flatten into patties.
6. Heat the remaining oil in the pan, then fry the falafels on a medium heat for 3 mins on each side, until golden brown and firm. Serve hot or cold with couscous, pitta bread or salad