We've welcomed in the new year with open arms, ready to embrace all that it has to offer us...
So, what better time to look back at the successes of our staff, students and alumni over the last twelve months and give us some motivation to get us ready to conquer 2017!
Here are just some of the best:
- In January, Leeds Beckett was once again named on Stonewall's list of the top 100 gay-friendly employers in the UK!
- Professor Kevin Hylton was named Patron of a charter which aims to improve the representation, progression and success of black and minority ethnic staff and students.
- In March, Leeds Beckett was ranked as one of the top five universities in the country for its graduates going on to be CEOs.
- Enterprising business graduate, Morgan Dowler, launched her innovative new business, Love Me (And My Secret), with a line of specialist underwear designed for breast cancer patients.
- As servicemen and women from; the Royal Navy, the British Army, and the Royal Air Force prepared for an expedition to Nepal, a team of Leeds Beckett researchers tasked with improving their physical performance at altitude were featured on BBC Look North and BBC Radio Leeds.
- Leeds Beckett students once again helped to stage one of the city's biggest live music events as Live at Leeds returned for the May bank holiday.
- Daniel Pucell, BSc (Hons) Creative Entertainment Technology graduate and Lead Environment Artist for Supermassive Games, won a BAFTA for the 2015 game, Until Dawn.
- In June, a team of Leeds Beckett staff and alumni celebrated winning two gongs at the 2016 annual Royal Television Society (RTS) Yorkshire awards for the documentary series, India's Frontier Railways.
- In July we celebrated the achievements of over 5,000 students and 13 honorary graduates at our graduation ceremonies. See behind the scenes and take a look at the season's honorary graduates.
- Leeds Beckett athletes at Rio 2016. Graduates Alistair Brownlee and Sam Quek won gold at Rio 2016 whilst Tom Bosworth defied expectations to finish sixth in the men's 20km Race Walk.
- In September, Leeds Beckett was ranked for the first time in the league table of the world’s best universities and was once again accredited with the Customer Service Excellence standard.
- In October, the University maintained its undefeated record with a 12th consecutive Leeds Varsity crown.
- In November, BA (Hons) Events Management graduate Sophie Guy showcased her innovative new party clothing brand, GoGuy at The Clothes Show 2016.
- Carol Potter, a Senior Lecturer within the School of Education and Childhood published research which highlighted the importance of fathers in the care of children with autism.
- In December MSc Finance graduate Alistair Brownlee was named as runner-up at the BBC Sports Personality of the Year awards.