Living in a different country can be tough. You may be missing your family, friends or maybe just the weather...
It's not all bad though! You have great opportunities studying here and you get to experience a whole new culture.
If you're missing home, why not try cooking some of your home dishes for your friends? If you've met other international students you could take it in turns and sample food from over the world or stick with your flat family and impress them with your culinary skills!
A cook-off is a great idea for LOTS of reasons:
- Memories - It'll take you back to times you have been back home with your family/friends eating yummy food and hopefully take away the homesickness blues whilst still reminding you of everything you love about home.
- Phone home - It gives you an excuse to call your mum, dad and other relatives to refresh your memory on the recipes. Plus, you get to have a catch-up whilst you're on the phone too.
- Sharing is caring - You get to share the best things about your culture with the friends you've made so far - we're sure they will love your traditional food!
- Food, glorious food - Not only do you get to eat your delicious home comforts but you get to experience food from other parts of the world too and it'd be totally FREE!
- Cooking is fun - Make the most of your time in the kitchen because cooking is enjoyable, therapeutic and shouldn't be a chore. You'll be super satisfied when everyone ends up loving your food too!
- Friends who cook together, stick together - It's a great way to socialise with the friends you've already made or get closer to your flatmates. You'll have a really fun night in and you could learn some more recipes to cook when you go home.
- You can teach your friends - Yes, you could take new recipes away with you but you should show people how to cook your food too. The more dishes a student can cook the better, it's much better than getting a takeaway.
If you don't fancy doing all the cooking, you could cook a main and your friends could make a starter and a dessert to that it's all fair!