Found a house? Make sure you check your contract!
Congratulations on finding somewhere to live next year!
You made it through the numerous stresses, viewings and just have to get over the final hurdle - the contract...
We won't lie, it isn't the easiest thing in the world to sort out but we want to help you get it right. Look through this checklist and make sure you get sorted before signing anything:
- Have you taken your contract away with you?
The landlord/estate agent might encourage you to sign it there and then but you don't have to. In most cases, you have at least 24 hours to sign your contract.
- What type of contract is it?
Most contracts in the UK have Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreements and in Scotland are Short Assured Tenancy Agreements. Double check what yours is!
- Do you have a Deposit Protection Scheme?
The key is in the name - it prevents you losing your deposit if the landlord claims money for 'damages' that weren't your fault. If you don't have one, you really need to get one.
- When does your tenancy start and end?
It may seem obvious but sometimes they can start in August before you've started university and obviously that's not ideal.
- Is insurance included?
It isn't always included but it's a huge positive if it is! If your landlord/estate agent has mentioned this at all during viewings or other conversations, get it in writing.
- Do you have any estate agency fees?
Sometimes you'll have to pay an admin fee to them but this should be included in the contract so it's very clear how much you have to pay and when.
- Are repairs included?
Have you noticed things that need repairing, or have you been promised that certain things will be sorted before you move in? Get this in writing in your contract so that you (hopefully) have a smooth move-in process.
- Get. It. Checked.
Student Services in the Bridgeman Building offer a contract checking service. You can give them a call on 01509 222058 to book an appointment with a trained advisor who will be able to give you solid advice and help you make sense of your new contract.
Good luck - you're nearly there!
- Read Next
- An introvert's guide to making friends at uni! Sex is like tea?! Save Time, Money & Cut Food Waste Solving the 5 stresses of student life Bloggers Wanted! Let’s Cut Carbs…Our Carbon footprint, that is. TWEET US? Upgrading your Endsleigh Insurance
- Life as a Loughborough student An introvert's guide to making friends at uni! Useful accommodation contact numbers Keeping your mental health in check at university THE games from E3 you should be hyped for