With the nights closing in on us, it's really important you take extra care when out and about.
It might be common sense, but...
- Plan ahead: make sure someone knows where you're going, even if you're only popping to the local shop.
- Stay alert: listening to your headphones or talking on your phone can distract you and stop you from hearing potential danger
- Stick to busy streets: avoid poorly lit areas and alleyways
- Travel-savvy: if you're relying on public transport, make sure you check the last train/bus times before leaving as you don't want to be stranded!
- Keep numbers handy: have a couple of trusted taxi companies saved in your phone as well as campus security (0131 451 3500)
- Check ID: if someone wants access into residences and don't let anyone tailgate behind you
If you have your student ID card and it is before 8pm (Mon –Fri) or 5pm (Sat-Sun), you can: Go to the main University Reception who will issue you with a temporary key or card
If you don't have your student card and it is between 8.30am and 4pm, you can: Contact the Porter/Housekeeper in your hall
If you don't have your student card and it is between 5pm and 11pm, you can: Contact your Hall Warden
If you don't have your student ID card or it is after 11pm, you can: Contact Security Control (by calling 0131 451 3500 or from a red phone)
And finally, wrap up warm!