A guide to living the UK
There will be LOADS you'll want to do during your time in the UK. Here are just some pointers to consider whilst studying here...
- Soak up the Culture
Try new things, taste new dishes and really embrace your time living in the UK!Dishes to try: Full English Breakfast, Fish and Chips, Pie and Mash, Sunday Roast
- Visit new places
We are blessed to have some major cities around the UK that are easily accessible by train. Glasgow, London, Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham, Liverpool and SO many more are worth a visit.
- Explore what's on your doorstep
Don't forget there is plenty to do in Edinburgh too! From Arthur's Seat to Princes Street, you will spend many weekends discovering new places.
- Get to know your surroundings
With it's beautiful, green parkland, nature and art - your campus has lots to offer. So, make time to really know what's around you and enjoy it!
- Join a society
The perfect opportunity to meet different people than those on your course. Plus, societies are a great source of support when you feel homesick.
- Queue up
You will notice British people are always lining up. Make sure you wait your turn and do not push in as this will be considered rude.
- Finding Food
Do not worry about missing your favourite foods from home. Edinburgh has a range of stores selling country-specific ingredients.
- Get familiar with British holidays
It is worth familiarising yourself with holidays in the UK as you will notice stores and restaurants will close early on certain days.
- Read Next
- How much do things cost in Scotland? International Supermarkets in Edinburgh Arriving in the UK? Top tips for before you arrive Judie's Blog: Once Watt, Never Not
- Josh's Blog: Looking back at my time at Heriot-Watt How to make your second year house safe Your private accommodation shopping list Josh's Blog: My first year at Heriot Watt (part 2) Get Fit: Running Routes on Campus