A guide to living in the UK
There will be LOADS you'll want to do during your time at Heriot Watt. Here are just some pointers to consider whilst studying here...
- Soak up the Culture
Try new things, taste new dishes and really embrace your time living in the UK!
Dishes to try: Full English Breakfast, Fish and Chips, Pie and Mash, Sunday Roast
- Visit new places
We are blessed to have some major cities around the UK that are easily accessible by train. Glasgow, London, Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham, Liverpool and SO many more are worth a visit.
- Explore what's on your doorstep
Don't forget there is plenty to do in Edinburgh too! From Arthur's Seat to Princes Street, you will spend many weekends discovering new places.
- Get to know your surroundings
With it's beautiful, green parkland, nature and art - Heriot Watt campus has lots to offer. So, make time to really know what's around you and enjoy it!
- Join a society
The perfect opportunity to meet different people than those on your course. Plus, societies are a great source of support when you feel homesick.
- Queue up
You will notice British people are always lining up. Make sure you wait your turn and do not push in as this will be considered rude.
- Finding Food
Do not worry about missing your favourite foods from home. Edinburgh has a range of stores selling country-specific ingredients.
- Get familiar with British holidays
It is worth familiarising yourself with holidays in the UK as you will notice stores and restaurants will close early on certain days.
For more tips and advice, our blogger Judie shared with us her experience whilst living at Heriot Watt...
- Read Next
- Can I come to campus to collect my belongings? Try these TikTok foodie hacks Interested in volunteering online to help in the Covid-19 response IMPORTANT - SCAM EMAIL ALERT 7 Days of Potatoes - A recipe for each day of the week! Think ahead! Explore your future How to cut your own hair! Support & Advice for Students: Student Success Ebony's Vlog: Surviving Social Isolation Self-isolation: The best of Netflix
- Moving Out of halls: What should I do with all my stuff? How to have (and keep) a happy, student house Judie's Top 5 Places to Eat in Edinburgh Josh's 5 ways to get fit on campus Poppy's Kitchen: Super smoothie Social Thursday THE guide to doing laundry at Heriot Watt What do I do if I get locked out? Don't be the noisy neighbour... Meal prep recipes in 5 ingredients or less!