Stay safe, stay fire free!
Well done on getting into Coventry University! But here comes the serious stuff: it's your responsibility to avoid burning the place down.
Here's what you need to know...
Keeping you safe
Don't just expect to be protected - check the things which keep you safe. This will protect you from potential injuries - or worse, waking up to your bed in flames!
- Know where your smoke alarms are - are they working?
- Be aware of the escape routes in your premises - walk calmly and safely, don't sprint (it's not a race).
- Pay attention to fire drills - NEVER ignore alarms. Failure to evacuate will result in disciplinary action (bad stuff).
The University can only do so much, and every year some numpty causes a false alarm which could have been avoided (don't be that numpty). You are able to make a difference and reduce the amount of these incidents:
- Don't use candles - as nice as they smell, the smoke sets off alarms
- Don't wedge doors open - your bedroom door and kitchen doors are 30-minute fire doors
- Never leave cooking unattended - if you got to head off, stop sizzling your sausages
- Don't use hair straighteners or hairdryers under detectors - do your beatifications in a safe space
- Don't leave shower doors open after a steamy shower - all that steam will upset the fire detectors
Consequences of malicious fire alarms
Don't be silly - you'll get done for it. It could result in prosecution and lots of nasty penalties which won't do you any favours:
- Penalty notice for disorder - £80 ticket
- If it's taken to court - up to 51 weeks imprisonment and/or a fine not exceeding £2,500
- Loss of your accommodation
- Your place at Uni could be at risk!
- If a fire starts and you are found responsible, you may have to pay for any fire damage. A recent kitchen fire cost £16,000 for refurbishment.
How you can help promote Fire Safety at University
By being a responsible, safe student you're already promoting sound Fire Safety protocol. But if you want to show off even more, get in touch with your local Fire Station or visit the West Midlands Fire Service website to see how you can improve awareness on campus.
The 'Fire Kills' campaign recruits a limited number of students each year at selected universities to act as 'student brand ambassadors.' They help raise awareness of Fire Safety amongst their peers by:
- Getting publicity through student magazines
- Distributing leaflets and posters
- Working with local fire stations to organise special events
To find out more about the 'Fire Kills' campaign visit: firekills.direct.gov.uk.
Enjoy your time in halls and stay safe!
- Read Next
- #Dontbedaft: Our Top 5 Safety Tips Moving in: What to do once you've settled... #DontBeDaft: Getting Home Safe #Dontbedaft: The personal safety series #DontBeDaft: Insurance Series The one mistake you shouldn't make at uni... Your rent FAQs answered! Braving the British weather Need support with your studies?
- 10 of the BEST things to do in Coventry Need something fixing in your accommodation? Your rent FAQs answered! Careers Cafe House V's Halls