#Dontbedaft: The personal safety series
We all want to be as safe as possible when out and about
Making a few small changes to how you keep safe could put your mind at ease. Here are just a few things you could consider:
Keep your stuff safe
Looking after your valuables when you're out is usually at the forefront of our minds, but it's just as important to keep things safe when you're in your flat.
- Lock your doors and windows, even if someone is in
- Keep your laptop, car keys, phones and other valuables out of sight
- Register your things on Immobilise as this increases your chances of getting them back if they're lost or stolen
- If you're all going out, use a timer or leave a light or radio on and draw the curtains to give the impression that someone's in
Student Possessions insurance provided by Cover4Insurance is included within your rent in University-owned and managed accommodation. Not sure on your cover? Check it on their website.
After a few drinks, it's easy to forget about the dangers you could face on a night out. Follow these to keep yourself safe:
- Keep an eye on your drink and don't accept drinks from strangers. If you do, go to the bar with them and order it yourself
- Stick with your mates. You don't want to be left alone drunk and you wouldn't want your friends to be either
- Always use a licenced taxi. Ring a reputable number that you're familiar with or make sure they have a Hackney Carriage logo
- Avoid walking home after a night out. If you have to walk, always still to well-lit areas and don't take shortcuts
- Know your limit and be aware of your surroundings at all times. You're much more vulnerable to thieves when drunk
- Don't carry loads of cash. Using your card is much safer and can be cancelled if stolen
- Be aware of tailgaters in your residence. If you suspect someone has followed you in, contact security immediately.
#Dontbedaft, keep safe!
- Read Next
- Recycling: It's easier than you think! Budgeting your way through your final weeks... Before you move in... Making the most of your final term at CU! Trip to Brighton Things you need to know about exams at Coventry What does it really mean to be 'liked'? Bloggers Wanted! 7 things you didn't know you could buy on Amazon Eat, sleep, revise, repeat... How rubbish sleep can affect your grades How YOU can help someone's mental health Things to do (and not do) before an exam
- We're looking for Student Ambassadors! Moving out: Give it, don't bin it! Before you move in... 2018 Trips! Trip to Brighton