#Dontbedaft: The Fire Series
Do you enjoy cooking from scratch?
The last thing you want is to cause a hazard in your kitchen which could lead to a fire!
These handy tips from the West Midlands Fire Service could help to keep you safe:
- Keep it clean
Keep your oven, hob and grill clean. A build-up of fat and grease can easily catch fire
- Microwave correctly
Don't put anything metallic, such as tin cans, inside the microwave
- Keep it in the kitchen
Always keep your cooking appliances in the kitchen where the plug sockets are appropriately wired with the correct voltage. Bedrooms can be dangerous for these items!
- Use wisely
Remember, any type of pan can catch fire - this includes a wok or a grill
- Deep-frying fails
When deep frying, always dry the food before you put it in the oil or it might spit!
- Smokin' hot!
Never fill a pan more than one-third full of oil. If the oil starts to smoke, it's too hot - turn off the heat
- Do a swap
Swap your chip pan for an electric deep-fat fryer - temperature controlled electrical fryers are much safer to use
- Never put water on a hot fat fire
This could lead to an even bigger fire and you could be harmed as the oil spits
- Have an escape plan if a fire does occur
Follow the fire escape routes in your building and familiarise yourself with the fire exits
- Finally, a working smoke alarm will give you those precious seconds to escape!
Follow these tips and you'll be safe in the kitchen... #Dontbedaft
- Read Next
- Reslife Recommends: Repetitive Beats, Flow States and Productivity. Self-isolation: A student guide You Said... We Did House V's Halls How to access Wi-fi, report issues and respect your building How to Self-Care World Mental Health Day 2019: What Can We Do to Tackle the Stigma? How to Apply for Accommodation (Chinese students) Help the Climate - Join the Student Switch Off! Fancy not cooking Monday-Friday?
- Protect your valuables and get insured! Student Accommodation at Coventry University Your rent FAQs answered! House V's Halls How to access Wi-fi, report issues and respect your building How to check out of your halls How to use Parish Rooms appliances Sport in Coventry Your Residence Life Coordinator Your campus facilities!