#Dontbedaft: Our Top 5 Safety Tips
There's been a series of burglaries in Coventry and we want to make sure you're staying safe and keeping yourself (and your stuff) protected.
To make sure you don't become a victim of theft follow our top preventative tips!
- Don't give burglars an open invitation
Keep your windows and doors shut and locked, especially when you're not there! Leaving your door unlocked and ajar makes it a quick in-and-out job for thieves.
*Tip: Avoid leaving notes on your door saying you're away or 'back soon' - instead tell your friends face-to-face so they can act as an unofficial watch while you're out.
- Protect your valuables
Computers, cash, electrical goods, and jewellery are among the most commonly stolen items, so make sure you hide your valuables when leaving your room/flat/house.
*Tip: If you're registered on Immobilise it will be easier for police to locate your stolen property! So if you haven't already, register on Immobilise now.
- Invest in a bike lock
It may seem obvious to lock your bike up, but still, some fail to do so. For maximum protection use two different locks simultaneously (a D-lock and robust chain and padlock is ideal).
*Tip: You can get these from University Protection Services for only £5! For more bike safety tips check out our #Dontbedaft: Cycling Series.
- Stay street smart on nights out
After evenings out (having sampled the local nightlife or not) travel home with friends or in a reputable, licenced taxi. If you do walk home, stick to main roads and avoid poorly lit areas - especially dodgy looking shortcuts and dingy alleyways.
*Tip: Carry a personal attack alarm for extra safety. You can get one from University Protection Services for only £2.25!
- Avoid 'checking in' and be aware of what you're sharing
Make sure you're aware of what you're posting and sharing on social media. Sharing your location and/or checking in at places online can alert burglars you're not home. Posting images of new/expensive items can also be risky and make you a target.
*Tip: Check your settings to ensure that you're only sharing status updates with people you know and trust.
Remember, work hard and play hard at CU, but stay safe and secure while doing so!
- Read Next
- Reslife Recommends: Repetitive Beats, Flow States and Productivity. Self-isolation: A student guide You Said... We Did House V's Halls How to access Wi-fi, report issues and respect your building How to Self-Care World Mental Health Day 2019: What Can We Do to Tackle the Stigma? How to Apply for Accommodation (Chinese students) Help the Climate - Join the Student Switch Off! Fancy not cooking Monday-Friday?
- Protect your valuables and get insured! Student Accommodation at Coventry University Your rent FAQs answered! House V's Halls How to access Wi-fi, report issues and respect your building How to check out of your halls How to use Parish Rooms appliances Sport in Coventry Your Residence Life Coordinator Your campus facilities!