Winter is here and that means colder weather and darker nights.
Keeping yourself safe when you're out and about in Dublin and the local area is so important.
- If you are planning to be out all evening try to ensure you have sufficient power in your mobile phone and let people know where you are going.
- Always have the local Gardaí: 01 666 4400 or DCU Security: 01 700 5999 saved on your phone.
- If you notice that someone is behaving suspiciously on the street and likely to commit a crime, tell the Gardaí if you feel safe to do so.
- If you feel that somebody is following you, go to the nearest shop, house or group of people until that person passes.
- Stick to main roads instead of trying to take a shortcut you're not 100% on. Have a look on Google Maps before you go to avoid getting lost too & stick to well-lit areas.
- Keep taxi numbers saved in your phone so you can give them a ring before you're ready to leave your residences or to make sure you get home safely. It is always worth getting a taxi home after a night out to get dropped close to your door. Only use licensed taxis! Keep enough extra cash in a separate pocket for your end of night taxi.
- You don't need to carry lots of cash/cards. You'll be tempted to spend more money than you need to and you could easily lose something. If you need to go to a cash machine when you're out, then go to a well-lit one in a busy area with your mates.Always keep your bag on you. Make sure it's secure and zipped/closed. Avoid putting wallets, phones and purses in back pockets too. Keep them in a zipped pocket instead
- Stick with your pals when you're out because it could get busy, and if you're new to Dublin you might get lost. Remind the one in your group that always wanders off, or is that you?
- Always avoid speaking back to somebody who is trying to provoke trouble. It's just not worth it, specially with alcohol mixed into the equation!!
If you ever find yourself in an emergency situation, call 999 to get help from the police, ambulance or fire service.